From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a simple way to display a number in the most logical unit?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, often I'm taking a measument in a VI and displaying it in real time in my front panel. Often, the range of the measurement changes drastically in a short timespan. What I'd like is for it to display it in the simplest units. So for example, if the measurement is in volts, and it's currently 2E-8, I'd like it to say 20 nV instead. Now obviously if I wanted it to always be in nanovolts, I could just multiply the display by 10^9, but sometimes it will quickly go from nV to mV or something, and I don't want it then displaying 3E5 or something.

So what I'd really like it to do is have it automatically adjust to use the "closest" unit. I know I could do this using some logic statements or maybe a Ring, but that's kind of clunky. Is there a more efficient way to do this? thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,711 Views)

Do you know the display format properties?

Try SI- notation Format 🙂

Rigth-Click on the indicator, choose Display Format..

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,694 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author optoelectro

Set the display format to SI notation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,693 Views)

One addition:  Add a log, fixed scale bargraph for a quick optical view!   Since m,µ,n,p mix up quickly 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,687 Views)

Awesome, exactly what I want!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,670 Views)