From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the computer clock of WinXP machine related to "Elapsed Time" Express VI ?

Hello,

I am using the "Elapsed Time" Express VI with "Target Time" set to 0s and "Auto Reset" set to False.  I am using this vi to measure the the time elapsed since this vi was called via the "Elapsed Time (s)" output. 

My problem is that when I run my program, the program seems to pause from time to time during data acquisition; however the program is able to complete fully.  Observing the output of my program, which uses the time elapsed to perform some calculations,  it appears that the "Elapsed Time" is pausing in conjunction with the periodic pauses of the entire program.  Furthermore, observing the clock on the Taskbar of my PC, the clock seems to pause in conjunction with the pause of the program. 
Is there any relation between the clock on the Taskbar and the "Elapsed Time"  Express VI?  In other words could the pausing the clock be causing the "Elapsed Time" vi to pause?

The program is an executable and hence I am not able to probe the block diagram of the program to see what the "Elapsed Time" vi is doing during these pauses. 
The executable was built in LabVIEW 8.2 (NI Developer Suite), the DAQ card is a PCI 6259, the connector box is a NI SCC-68, and the PC is operating using Windows XP.  The vi which this executable was created from runs with no issues; neither the program or Taskbar clock pause.

Thank you,
Karin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,253 Views)

The Elapsed Time Express VI is based on Get Date/Time In Seconds.  This in turn is indeed based on the computer clock.

I hope that this helps,

Bob Y.

Message 2 of 2
(2,240 Views)