LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is labview the right software for me to test a cam shaft position sensor(FAST sensor)?

For the past week i have been making a code for my cam shaft position sensor(basically sends a 1 for every 1° of the motor) the motor can go 10k rpm ,thats almost 60000 digital readings per second, im using an arduino to take in the readings, the arduino can take 16Mhz so i think that is more than enough, is labview the right software for me?.  

i have finished my labview program, and if i rotate the cam shaft by my own hand at a slow speed, it loses a lot of signals.  

is there something i can do to speed this up or i should go suicide because i didn't research such a thing before working on my code

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,149 Views)

Hi Hamza,

,thats almost 60000 digital readings per second, im using an arduino to take in the readings, the arduino can take 16Mhz so i think that is more than enough, is labview the right software for me?.  

LabVIEW is used with big DAQ devices handling a lot of channels with sample rates in the MS/s range, so yes, LabVIEW is ok for you.

But: is your Arduino able to handle your measurement requirements? I doubt that part…

(Don't mix CPU clock with processing or DAQ speed!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 16
(3,132 Views)

What are you really trying to do with the Cam shaft position?

The arduino might be able to detect 60,000 pulses, but it isn't cable of transmitting the data that fast to LabVIEW over a serial connection.  And even if it could, by the time LabVIEW got it the pulse would have already passed.

Message 3 of 16
(3,131 Views)

Thank you both for your answer! it is refreshing!.  

so what do you suggest? what is my options here? how i can connect the sensor to labview? i cant think of any  to be honest so help is always appreciated!  

Thank you again for answering!

Spoiler
What are you really trying to do with the Cam shaft position?

I am trying to get motor positions at specific times so i can measure data when the motor is in a specific position

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,126 Views)

Hi Hamza,

call your local NI sales rep and ask for suitable DAQ hardware!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 16
(3,119 Views)

Assuming the Arduino can measure fast enough and the communication to LV is slow, you'll need to present the current ticks (e.g. as an I32) and handle the difference from last read in LV. This is basically what happens if you have a DAQ with a counter input though it has much higher performance and resolution. In the DAQ case you'll either get X pulses under a certain amount of time, or will read the time between 2 pulses (in your case you could e.g. chech the pulses every 100ms or something similar).

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 6 of 16
(3,106 Views)

Hi,

first you need to know, that you can't connect a sensor to LabVIEW, because it's just a graphical programming language. You need a kind of DAQ hardware. What kind of hardware is useful depends on your application.

The correct question is: What do you want to know by testing this sensor. Maybe the number of pulses, the period/frequency, high/low level, rise/fall time? This is defining our hardware demand. It could be an analog, digital or counter DAQ module.

Regards,

Kay

Message 7 of 16
(3,104 Views)

Tl;dr i wanna Take information of the cam shaft sensor which tells me at which stage the motor is at , so i can for example take another sensor reading When the motor was stage 1 or 2 .  

so basiccly im counting the pins the cas is sending and inbetween 90 and 180 i want another sensor to start.  

sorry for my horrible english,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,087 Views)

Most likely you're going to need some high speed DAQ card for this kind of measurement and synchronisation. This is the easy, but more expensive way.

Depeneding on what you actually need to do / trigger you might be able to do it with cheap hardware.

For example, counter chips do exist which you can configure to trigger when a certain count is reached. You can configure them to run in modulo mode so it is cyclic and will generate a pulse on one of it is pins when the count is reached. You can use this as a hardware interrupt, or direct trigger for something else.

These types of solutions are normally a lot more work to implement and need much more low level programming.

Message 9 of 16
(3,069 Views)

Can you help me find the right one? I need one with at least 2 inputs/outputs, less than 200$ and fast enough to transfer data quick enough to keep up with the cas (60000 per second?).  Is the 

C Series Digital Module good enough for me?

Truly sorry for the questions, I really appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,045 Views)