LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible with labview to run a program(with 6 charge stations) continuously, monitor all stations separately and store data independently?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a question regarding whether certain functions are feasible with labview.

For a school project, we need to create a station that charges 6 batteries at the same time and the data needs to be monitored. However, one battery charges faster than the other, so when 1 battery is fully charged, it must be replaced with an empty battery, but the rest must continue to charge and monitor.

The question therefore is, whether it is possible to write a program with labview that runs continuously but monitors all stations separately on one screen and then store the data independently?

Kind regards,

Luuk

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(926 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luukyluke

Hi Luuk,

@Luukyluke wrote:

The question therefore is, whether it is possible to write a program with labview that runs continuously but monitors all stations separately on one screen and then store the data independently?

Yes.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(917 Views)

Thank you!

Do I need to purchase extra packages or is the labview basic package enough?

Kind regards,

Luuk

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(893 Views)
Solution

@Luukyluke wrote:

Thank you!

Do I need to purchase extra packages or is the labview basic package enough?

Kind regards,

Luuk

Yes as others have said you can do this with LabVIEW and no (purchased) add-ons should be needed.

BTW: I have been doing similar things for years testing batteries with LabVIEW. 

I have been doing this for years

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 4 of 6
(874 Views)
Solution

You might want to look at this NI Application Note on the Master/Slave Design Pattern.  In your situation, you could have identical routines handling one Test Station, with a Master Routine communicating with them, gathering their test data, scheduling new tests as they finish the previous one, etc.  If you need more Stations, you just spin up more copies of your Station routine (if you use Clones, or reentrant routines, you only need to write a single Station routine, then "launch" as many Clones as you need).

Here is the reference:  Application Design Patterns: Master/Slave ;

Bob Schor

Message 5 of 6
(852 Views)
Solution

Fun fact about LabVIEW compared to most other programming (i.e. the text-based ones):

In traditional text-based languages, everything is sequential by default and learning to make things run in parallel is a big part of how you become an advanced programmer.

In LabVIEW everything is parallel by default, and learning to make things run sequentially is one of the first steps.  Learning the best design patterns to run things in parallel is a big part of being an advanced programmer.

Message 6 of 6
(826 Views)