LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to plot a 4D graph in Labview with cuts?

Hello,

I have a list of points with (x,y,z) and T. I would like to plot these points in a 3D graph but also to give a colour to this points according to the value of the value of T. I would like to fill the space between this points with acolours gradient (I mean between two points with low and high value of T, it will be a gradient between red and blue for instance).

I am planning to run this plot in a loop, so I can see the change of the temperature inside a volume of cube following a grid of points if I make vertical or horizontal cut in the middle of cube).

This is very similar to follow the change of the temperature inside the sun for example.

Cheers,

Zied

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,372 Views)

Hi,

I hope this will answer your question.

You can add the 3D Surface Plot, go to the Properties and select Interpolated Shading Color Mode in Properties:

2016-10-11 12_02_04-3D example.vi Front Panel _.png

2016-10-11 12_00_05-3D Plot Properties_ 3D Surface Plot.png

I've attached also a simple example. The surface looks terrible because the data is randomly chosen, but you can extract the general idea from it 🙂

Marcin

Think Dataflow - blog.mtapp.tech
Message 2 of 13
(4,363 Views)

Thank you Mtwar. I will have a look at your VI after I update my Labview. Ihaveverrsion 2015 and I think you are already in labview2016. 

I am still wondering whether it is possible to make cuts to  the graph to see what it is inside. I will try to do just until have the point for the different directions to see if I can see something inside.

Thank you again.

Zied

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,359 Views)

Hello, I tested the previous Vi but it asks only for the (x,y,z). I have already a list of these positions but I would like to attribute a colour for each point and then fill the space between the point. I put the previous vi with my actual data. Do you know how to specify the colour for each point according to  a list of scores( I have 1 D array that corresponds to the number of points to be drawn).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,296 Views)

I've tried to do what you need, but I don't have any idea how to accomplish it Smiley Frustrated

I will try to find something useful this weekend, when I'll have some more time. If you will do it earlier, let me know, I'm really curious about the answer.

Message 5 of 13
(4,278 Views)

Hello,

I will wait for your attempt.

I found a graph that is similar to what we are trying to do.

http://www.graphnow.com/Image/4d_slice5-large.jpg

Cheers,

Zied

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,257 Views)

Hello,

unfortunately I was unable to find a solution 😕 I'm sure it is possible but currently I'm extremely busy and I think the solution is not so simple and demands a lot of work.

I hope you will be able to find an answer.

What I can recommend you is a post here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/3D-graph-to-plot-surface-data/m-p/880161#M398111

Another member of the Forum (Ben) has sent it to me. Maybe there you can find an answer for your question? Analyze the example which is attached to that post.

Marcin

Message 7 of 13
(4,233 Views)

Thank Mtwar for the link. I will keep trying to find a solution and hopefully someone in the forum will come up with a nice idea to help me to plot this kind of graph

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,221 Views)

Hi,

See the attached file, I think this is the basic idea of what you need - probably you will need to adjust it to your need but hopefully it will help you to take the right direction 🙂 

2016-10-19 16_24_03-3D Graph.vi Front Panel.png

Marcin

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,171 Views)

Thank you Marcin.

I tried your VI and I found that the colours can be entered through a matrix which is great.

Here is my VI. I think I cannot plot it because of a problem in the matrices that I could understand.

Cheers,

Zied

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,154 Views)