LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to pass a Tab Control from one VI to another

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to pass inputs from a tab control to a subVI?

In the attached "TabCtrl_main. vi", if I change the values on the "Input", it does not show up on the output.  Is it possible to accomplish this task?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,327 Views)

I'm not sure what you mean by "tab inputs".  Tabs are just containers and the value is the tab number.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,271 Views)

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

If it's to automatically switch tabs use the Value Property Node

tab.PNG

Also you know you can make a Tab "Control" an "Indicator".

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,266 Views)

Hi hiNI,

@hiNI wrote:

I would like to know if it is possible to pass inputs from a tab control to a subVI?

When you would pass those "inputs" (aka controls!) to your subVI then that subVI could process their values!

Right now you "just" pass the tab container enum to your subVI: the subVI only knows about the selected page in your tab control, but it DOES NOT KNOW about the values of the controls in those tab pages!

As has been said: the tab control is just a kind of container to organize some other controls. You need to pass those control values to your subVI, but not the tab container state:

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 7
(1,262 Views)

Hello,

You are correct!  I am attempting to change the control inputs in the different tabs on the main VI, then pass those modified controls to the subVI, perform some computations that would further change the controls and output the clusters. 

I tried using your png file but the SUB.VI is missing.

Do I have to break up the controls each time and input that into the subVI?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,237 Views)

@hiNI wrote:

Hello,

You are correct!  I am attempting to change the control inputs in the different tabs on the main VI, then pass those modified controls to the subVI, perform some computations that would further change the controls and output the clusters. 

So, do you want to do some calculations on some data and use that to change tab? If so, the Sub VI should have only the controls needed as input and the resulting Tab as output.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,226 Views)

Hi hiNI,

@hiNI wrote:

This is your own subVI! I just connected to clusters on the frontpanel of that subVI with the connector pane…

@hiNI wrote:

You don't "break up" any controls right now! There are two clusters on the frontpanel of the mainVI and the value of those clusters is fed into the subVI: nothing is merged, nothing is "broken up"…

When you want to process some data in your subVI then you need to feed that data into the subVI: this is basic "THINK DATAFLOW!" mantra of LabVIEW.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,212 Views)