LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have a command terminal in LabVIEW?

Hello!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to have a command terminal (like command prompt in Windows) accessibly in a VI with a serial connection? An internal program in one of my project devices is set up to wait for a user to hit and send the "enter" key on a keyboard and then send back directions, but I'm not sure how to implement that in LabVIEW. It's originally done in PowerTerm 525, but my new set up requires LabVIEW.

Should read/write do the same thing? I attempted a normal read and write serial VI, but not sure if it'll just send the enter key.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,974 Views)

@cm_ee wrote:

I attempted a normal read and write serial VI, but not sure if it'll just send the enter key.

Depending on your device, it is a Carriage Return and/or a Line Feed.  It is most likely just a Line Feed (ASCII value 10, 0xA).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,971 Views)

Recreating an interactive terminal window (e.g. using a string control with a fixed-with font) on the front panel is a very different problem than just sending/receiving certain characters via serial port. Can you tell us a bit more about the requirements?

Message 3 of 8
(1,913 Views)
Spoiler
I can tell you everything I know which isn't much (I'm coming into a project without much knowledge, resources, and time). . . The current program used is powerterm 525 and when you press enter an input line comes up to enter a new number and that "call' comes from an internal program that is waiting for the "enter" key. I need an interactive terminal that allows me to press enter and have the input line pop up. Does that make sense?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,885 Views)

@cm_ee wrote:
Spoiler
I can tell you everything I know which isn't much (I'm coming into a project without much knowledge, resources, and time). . . The current program used is powerterm 525 and when you press enter an input line comes up to enter a new number and that "call' comes from an internal program that is waiting for the "enter" key. I need an interactive terminal that allows me to press enter and have the input line pop up. Does that make sense?

If I understand, you're being asked to replicate an interface in LabVIEW that currently uses PowerTerm.

In PowerTerm (which I've never used), you push "enter", and then you can input a new number to send to an "internal program".

As far as you can tell, the input request is something PowerTerm is receiving from the internal program, and then the internal program waits for the new number.

Am I getting what you're saying?

To revisit altenbach's question,

@altenbach wrote:

Recreating an interactive terminal window (e.g. using a string control with a fixed-with font) on the front panel is a very different problem than just sending/receiving certain characters via serial port. Can you tell us a bit more about the requirements?

• Is it a requirement to have an identical (or very similar) user interface as before?
  • Or can you instead "send" the enter key programatically when the user clicks a button?

Or, maybe,

• Is the "enter" key something totally on the PowerTerm side, and it just allows the user to input the new number?

Related: PowerTerm 525 can be used for a few different communication protocols (quick google search says Telnet, Serial, LAT, and CTERM, among others). Do you know which protocol is being used in your application?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,868 Views)

Yes, that is exactly what I know about this project.

I'm currently trying to attempt to just send the enter key and see what kind of response I get, but I'm also open to any solutions that might be out there.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,862 Views)

I am not sure what you are after.

If you just want a user input box to come up when the user presses enter you could do something like this...although I suspect I have misunderstood what you are after.

Number Popup.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,856 Views)

Thanks all, but I'm going to look into using the system execute vi to access Tera Term. . . If anyone has advice on this and is willing to share, that would be appreciated it/

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,761 Views)