LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to find out if a digiatal control is an integer or a double value?

Solved!
Go to solution

When I have the Reference to a Digital Control, how can I find out the Representation of it's value(e.g. Double, Integer32,...)?

ctrref.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,102 Views)

Activate VI Scripting (LV Options) and you will have access to a property called "Representation"....

Please note that you should only read this property for running VIs!

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 10
(4,093 Views)

Does it matter? You can convert value from int control to double, it has enough precision, you will not loose data.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,070 Views)

@Alexander: That is not true for I64/U64. Also I want to save the data to file and save memory.

@Norbert: I will try this out. Is there a reason it is not possible to get the representation without VI Scripting?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,024 Views)

@romankoch wrote:

[...]

@Norbert:[...] Is there a reason it is not possible to get the representation without VI Scripting?

Honestly, i don't know. I assume some legacy decisions of the LV R&D team.....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,020 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author romankoch

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2015\vi.lib\Utility\Data Type\Get Type Information.vi

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 6 of 10
(3,976 Views)

Yep. The location and the VI paul_cardinale suggest works. Kudos paul!!!

Though there is no Data Type Folder in my PC (Running Win7 and LabVIEW 2014)

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\vi.lib\Utility\GetType.llb---->Get Type of Control.vi will help you to determine the Representation of the reference.

-John Theodore
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Architect
Message 7 of 10
(3,966 Views)

I'd like to know why you would need to know.  This is for my own education, since I have no idea why it would be useful.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,930 Views)

@billko: I write the value of the control to an config file. So I need to know if I write a double or an integer. Until now I always used a double, but it doesn't look nice, when integer values get displayed with fractional digits.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,871 Views)

You can format the value yourself and use Write String key instead. With Format Value and format specifier "%#g" you'll cut trailing zeroes, which should make it general enough.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 10 of 10
(3,863 Views)