From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to control a case structure by the boolean output itself?

I have built a case structure and I use the boolean output to control itself. Is it possible?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,734 Views)

What is a "boolean output" and what puts it out? What is "itself" (case structure? output?)  If you are talking about an output of the case structure to be used as selector in the next iteration, use a feedback node or shift register.

It would really help to attach your code, then explain in detail what you are trying to do. What is the purpose of all this?

There might be a better overall solution than just trying to force connect things in a certain misguided way that is against the rules of dataflow.

Message 2 of 8
(2,722 Views)

Thank you, problem solved.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,669 Views)

@Jason2018 wrote:

I have built a case structure and I use the boolean output to control itself. Is it possible?

I see you have figured it out, but you still might want to show us what you did because your question sounds like the foundations of a Rube Goldberg Machine.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,657 Views)

Hi, 

It's like the pictures and VIs that I attached. No errors only when I add a while loop.with a while loopwith a while loopwithout a while loopwithout a while loop

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,623 Views)

Any toplevel program needs a while loop. (The "run continuous" button is not for running, but for debugging. A program without a while loop is not interactive and just rolls down the hill once with the current values. Not very useful).

You don't really need to anchor the init terminal on the loop, you could just globally initialize the feedback node (and the VI would not be broken, even without the while loop)

noerrorstillsenseless.png

Even if the run arrow is not broken does not mean that the program is logically correct. Even a blank VI is not broken but is arguably not very useful.

You still have not told us what problem you are trying to solve. Somehow I guess you are looking in the wrong place.

Your code makes very little logical sense. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,615 Views)

Jason, these questions you ask are really basic, and even if this forum can give help you here, your learning curve could be much better with a different learning approach. I recommend you to take some of the tutorials, or much better, if you have access to the LabVIEW Core 1 "self-paced" training. Depending on your licence, you might access these training videos from NI.

You can find several links under section "Looking For Free Training":

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Community-Documents/Unofficial-Forum-Rules-and-Guidelines/ta-p/3536495

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,607 Views)

@Jason2018 wrote:

Hi, 

It's like the pictures and VIs that I attached. No errors only when I add a while loop

Okay, I see what you did there. Now I have to ask why do you need to do that?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,582 Views)