From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Sorensen XEL Power supply compatible with labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Is Sorensen XEL Power supply compatible with labview?. I'm into automotive domain of Vehicle instrument cluster. I want to test and simulate various transients conditions that can generate noise to the supply line for which I needed a programmable power supply. Currently I have a NIcompactRIO setup. I needed higher voltage Output cards for simulating and testing special conditions and requirements.

I was told that Sorensen XEL series is compatible with Labview. Is it right?. One another question I have is NIcompactRIO uses Ethernet IP communication, but Sorensen uses RS 232 communication. Can I have parallel communication protocol possible with Labview frontend controlling the both from the same single PC.

Thirdly what are the function Blocks required in the VI for programming Sorensen.And last but the least, where can I get a Sorensen RS 232 drivers?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,645 Views)

I haven't used this device but I am pretty sure that the driver you are talking about can be taken from here:  http://www.sorensen.com/products/XEL/XEL_Downloads.htm.  

Communicating on different channels/buses at the same time (GPIB, RS232, RS485, TCP, ...) is a typical scenario for a LabVIEW application.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,630 Views)

I've used the power supply. The driver from Ametek (remove the period from the link) is an IVI driver. I did not use that. I wrote my own in a few hours. There is a wizard at Tools>Instrumentation>Create Instrument Driver Project that can help. I cannot attach the code I created though, as it was for a customer.

Message 3 of 7
(3,623 Views)

Thanks Mr. Dennis.  I'm able to communicate with Labview VI's using RS 232 serial port. I'm able to control the Voltage from the front panel only when this VI(see the atachment) is running. I used  the VI that was available on one of the discussion forum. 

If I try to run any other VI's that communicates through the Ethernet IP, then this particular VI stops running. Once it happens, I can no longer control my voltage and current from the VI unless and until I reboot the system. I 'm using Labview 2012 on Windows 7 environment. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,584 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author samputhur

There is nothing in that VI with Ethernet communication so I don't understand what you are asking.

Instead of appending a \r\n with every write, I would recomend you configure VISA to append it automatically and I would also recomend you enable the read termination character as well. Then there would be no need for the VISA Bytes at Serial Port and those waits. Look at the advanced serial example to see how to configure the VISA property to append a termination character.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,574 Views)

Actually if the device really requires both \r\n to be appended (which by the way most devices don't as they will usally only use the \n and ignore the \r) then using the automatic VISA append termination char is not an option as it only adds one character. Also I personally prefer to handle the termination character explicitedly when sending data to a device.

Use of the enable read termination character option in VISA however is an absolute DO! The Bytes at Serial Port has absolutely no right to exist in any device driver as it makes handling reliable device communication very complicated and sometimes impossible. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,552 Views)

I use a Sorensen XDL power supply and use the IVI drivers for that model downloaded from teh Avetek.Sorensen website.  I created a vi that uses the instrument drivers and only need to run it when I want to make a change to what the PS is doing.

The dll contains peretty much all of the programmable functions.  Should be the same for the XEL I would think.

I attached my VI w/ the intrument driver files.

Doug

"My only wish is that I am capable of learning each and every day until my last breath."
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,543 Views)