Is NI-VISA reentrant?

Sure here's my AC measurements VI 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(540 Views)

Is there a VISA Configure somewhere upstream? There are a couple things here that should be able to speed stuff up.

1- VISA Read and VISA Write are both set to Synchronous; change them to Asynchronous and see if it helps (right click -> Synchronous IO mode). Synchronous mode locks the calling thread until the whole Read process is finished. The article I sent earlier has some more info on that but it's kind of a complicated subject. I'd try switching it and seeing if it helps 🙂 Another possible option would be to launch this VI using Start Asynchronous Call, which I think gives the launched VI its own private thread to operate in. Just guessing here.

2- If there isn't a VISA configure, add one and configure it to use termchars. The AC Measurements subVI is only requesting 20 characters and your Write is something around that number, so the transfer itself should be blazing fast. Thus, the delay could come from:

2a- The unit may be waiting until it receives a command to make the measurement, which means it takes a finite amount of time to make a single measurement. How long does this measurement take? Maybe you can have the instrument constantly make measurements then ask what the current value is? Just guessing, this would be a Yokogawa question, not a LabVIEW one though.

2b- If you're using timeouts for serial comms instead of termchars, you will have some delays. VISA Read is requesting 20 characters, so if the reply is 8 characters (or whatever) and your timeout is 2 seconds, then all calls to VISA Read will take 2 seconds to return. VISA Read will return when one of the following happens:

-Termchar received

-Number of bytes requested is returned

-Timeout reached

You absolutely want to use termchars unless you have a specific reason *not* to do that (those cases are few and far between, but it happens).

Message 12 of 20
(521 Views)

1. I will try the Async mode

2. There is a VISA Serial Setup upstream and it is set to use a termination character

2a. I am thinking this might also be the part of issue. As it is now I have to request a measurement, receive it, and request the next one at a time. These meters only have a 9600 baud serial connection. 

I might have to did deeper into the Yokogawa and see if there is a better way to retrieve it's measurements.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(510 Views)

You can do some experiments to see what your bottleneck is. Try running one instance of the VI in a For loop to do, say, 100 measurements or something and see what the time per measurement is.

Regarding the baud rate, if you're sending and receiving about 20 bytes each:

(40 bytes * 10 bits/byte) / 9600 bits/sec = 42 ms transmission time

I doubt that's it. If I had to guess your instrument starts the measurement after the command is sent, meaning there's an unavoidable delay during that period. If your serial comms are set to Synchronous they (might) block each other. Ideally you could send "Take measurement" to each one, but it seems like the second Write command isn't executing until after the first Read command has finished. It still smells like the Async mode being an issue but man, I'm not sure.

Maybe try adding some timing capabilities to your read/write loops to see what's taking the loops so long. Since they're clones you can't use probes, but you could add a queue in there so each one enqueues an element when it's finished reading or writing.

I attached a quick and dirty timing logger library I whipped up for a project once that might help. It needs the OpenG library installed... you basically can "start" a logger, then add elements to it and it'll record timestamps.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(496 Views)

So watching the instruments closely this morning it appears to me that VISA (or the FTDI driver) is the problem.

My program appears to be accessing all three instruments in parallel but it's not really.

(There's really four but I am just talking about the three identical ones)

Watching the instruments I can see it is actually only communicating with one instrument at a time and randomly interleaving the communications to the three instruments.

Basically a race condition...

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(447 Views)

Welp I think you've just about hit the limit of my guessing ability. The only possible ideas left are to 1- get rid of two of the identical ones so you're talking to two separate instruments, see if the issue persists and 2- launch your read/write VI's with Open VI Reference, which IIRC gives them their own thread so there's no possible way the caller threads are getting locked somehow.

Otherwise I'm all out of ideas 😕 Maybe you can raise a support ticket to see if R&D can elaborate a bit? This is an area I'm very interested in, as I do lots of serial communication and I'd like to know exactly how VISA calls can block each other.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(434 Views)

Just throwing things out o see if anything sticks.

1. Do you have an old computer that has an old serial port. You could try your USB to serial and real serial together to see if that makes a difference. (Work made me get rid of my old laptop that had a real serial port. 😞 )
  2. Are your USB to serial converters on the same USB hub? Does switching them to different hubs make any difference?

Sorry can't help more.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(430 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

Just throwing things out o see if anything sticks.

1. Do you have an old computer that has an old serial port. You could try your USB to serial and real serial together to see if that makes a difference. (Work made me get rid of my old laptop that had a real serial port. 😞 )
  2. Are your USB to serial converters on the same USB hub? Does switching them to different hubs make any difference?

Sorry can't help more.

mcduff

Well they are all plugged into separate USB ports on the computer, but who knows if there is an internal USB hub or not...

I don't have any computers left in the lab that have hardware serial ports. So far I have had bad luck with the PCIe serial port cards we tried (Startech). For some reason the Startech serial ports just randomly stop working. No errors except for the eventual VISA timeout. The FTDI USB to Serial adapters have been proven solid so we have standardized on using them for serial communications.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(422 Views)

Look in the Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

You should be able to see what is attached there; usually there are internal hubs.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(418 Views)

I stumbled across some more reading regarding sync/async mode:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/VISA-Synchronous-asynchronous-gt-Confused/td-p/878609

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/What-is-the-difference-between-doing-a-VISA-...

tl;dr: VISA Read is reentrant, but using it in sync mode will likely cause the issue you're seeing where it can only talk to one device at a time (at least, that's how I'm reading things).

Message 20 of 20
(342 Views)