From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International monospaced font?

I'm from the US, and for years, Courier New has been my go-to monospace font if I need multi-line strings to align, or fixed-width strings to exactly fill a control/indicator (e.g. console-style indicators, or hexadecimal controls/indicators).

I maintain a LabVIEW program that uses Courier New in some places for the reasons above. Recently, I demo'd the program in Japan, and was surprised to see Courier New, the font I know and love, is entirely different in Japan: spaces are not the same width as characters, and the entire font is larger (despite the same font-size setting).

How can the same exact font look so different between countries?

How do you deal with these international discrepancies?

How can I work around this?

Is there a standardized monospaced font I can use instead?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,493 Views)

Can't answer all your questions, but there was an idea years ago that requested NI to standardize the font sizes, because they aren't right now. Here's the link:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Font-size-standardization/idi-p/1405022

A quick comparison between LabVIEW and Word on my PC suggests that NI hasn't gotten around to it yet.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,489 Views)

Wow! That's pretty bad. The root of that thread is that, for historic reasons, what NI calls "pt" is really "px", which is a bug. They say it's fixed in NXG 1.

The other problem I saw was with Courier New rendering spaces at a different width. Basically, the font wasn't truly monospaced on the Japanese computers.

There must be some way to work around these font limitations. I always thought a big draw of LabVIEW was its cross-platform compatibility. Any ideas how to work around this? Are there common "best practices" for portable UIs?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,456 Views)

You can probably blame this particular issue as much on Windows and localization and extended fonts as much as LabVIEW, although LabVIEW and font display general issues are legendary.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,445 Views)

Agreed - I first posted this assuming it was a Windows font localization problem. I expected a simple suggestion for a reliable, stable-sized monospace font, but the problem unfortunately seems to run deeper. I don't especially care where the blame lies, I'm just hoping for a solution other than "release for the US, manually change all the fonts & sizes throughout the front panels, release again for Japan".

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,443 Views)