LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing external servo motor in NI sbrio-9632 and programming for it.

Hi..

I am using NI starter kit containing SbRIO-9632 and programming it through Labview..Now if I want to interface external gripper to it, I am using servo motor for its motion but how it is possible to program for this external motor in Labview..I mean Do I need to make some pin high in SbRIO??

Pls help me to start.. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,383 Views)

Getting started with your NI hardware/software:

http://www.ni.com/gettingstarted/

Check out the NI Community robotics forum for lots of examples:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/zone/labviewrobotics?view=documents#/

Br,

/Roger

Message 2 of 4
(3,378 Views)

Thanks RogerIsaksson for your response..

I went through your suggestion and examples link. But I am not yet clear with my question.

As I want to control servo from my sbrio-9632, I will connect 2pins of  my servo motor i.e  GND and Digital input pin to my sbrio. I will give +5v supply externally. As there is no any particular PWM pin in sbrio , I will have to connect my motor input pin to PORT/DIO pins in Sbrio. So my question is - is it right? Whether it will be enough to connect input pin to PORT/DIO pin and code something in my labview to generate PWM out of it?  OR  I will compulsary need some NI driver modules to drive my servo..for eg NI 9505 module..

Please help me. And also if whatever I am thinking to do is right, how to write a PWM code to drive my motor??

Thanks once again to help.. Kindly reply further.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,332 Views)

Hi sharry,

You should be able to connect the signal pin of your servo directly into one of the Digital Pins of the SB-RIO. Then you can simple write a pulse of varying width using the FPGA to drive the servo. A good example of this can be found in the Example Finder. Simply search for "PWM", the example you want is called "Controlling a servo using PWM.lvproj".

The 5V and GND pin of the servo should be connected externally, so that the servo doesn't draw its power from the SB-RIO.

Also be aware that the digital pins on the SB-RIO operate at 3.3V, not 5V. So if you're outputting a pulse to control a servo, it will be a 3.3V pulse. For most servos, this won't be a problem (3.3V is within the range for a HIGH signal in  TTL and CMOS logic levels), but it's worth checking the datasheet with your servo first, or doing a quick test,

Kind regards,

Josh E
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
Message 4 of 4
(3,245 Views)