From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing external servo motor in NI sbrio-9632 and programming for it.

Hi..

I am using NI starter kit containing SbRIO-9632 and programming it through Labview..Now if I want to interface external gripper to it, I am using servo motor for its motion but how it is possible to program for this external motor in Labview..I mean Do I need to make some pin high in SbRIO??

Pls help me to start.. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,403 Views)

Getting started with your NI hardware/software:

http://www.ni.com/gettingstarted/

Check out the NI Community robotics forum for lots of examples:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/zone/labviewrobotics?view=documents#/

Br,

/Roger

Message 2 of 4
(3,398 Views)

Thanks RogerIsaksson for your response..

I went through your suggestion and examples link. But I am not yet clear with my question.

As I want to control servo from my sbrio-9632, I will connect 2pins of  my servo motor i.e  GND and Digital input pin to my sbrio. I will give +5v supply externally. As there is no any particular PWM pin in sbrio , I will have to connect my motor input pin to PORT/DIO pins in Sbrio. So my question is - is it right? Whether it will be enough to connect input pin to PORT/DIO pin and code something in my labview to generate PWM out of it?  OR  I will compulsary need some NI driver modules to drive my servo..for eg NI 9505 module..

Please help me. And also if whatever I am thinking to do is right, how to write a PWM code to drive my motor??

Thanks once again to help.. Kindly reply further.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,352 Views)

Hi sharry,

You should be able to connect the signal pin of your servo directly into one of the Digital Pins of the SB-RIO. Then you can simple write a pulse of varying width using the FPGA to drive the servo. A good example of this can be found in the Example Finder. Simply search for "PWM", the example you want is called "Controlling a servo using PWM.lvproj".

The 5V and GND pin of the servo should be connected externally, so that the servo doesn't draw its power from the SB-RIO.

Also be aware that the digital pins on the SB-RIO operate at 3.3V, not 5V. So if you're outputting a pulse to control a servo, it will be a 3.3V pulse. For most servos, this won't be a problem (3.3V is within the range for a HIGH signal in  TTL and CMOS logic levels), but it's worth checking the datasheet with your servo first, or doing a quick test,

Kind regards,

Josh E
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
Message 4 of 4
(3,265 Views)