LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface with hp4194A

Hi. I’ve got an old 4194A hp impedance analyzer.  We’ve had it interfaced with a pc for about 25 years.  The pc died today.  I’m looking for support on purchasing a new pc and the new version of labview.  Will it be possible to interface with labview from a new pc to the old hp 4194a unit?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(763 Views)

Hi special,

how was it connected to that old computer? Which interface did you use?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(731 Views)

Well it should not be too hard to write a new program for that old HP as most HP instruments have decent LabVIEW support if they were even mildly popular.

But NI's new website is so hard to navigate I can't find the Instrument Driver Network to see if a driver already exists.

But even it it doesn't HP instruments SCPI programing were historically well documented, so worst case you have to start from scratch and write your own "driver" from the SCPI commands.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(711 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  The old computer has a ni board in it, at-gpib/tnt that interfaced with the hp unit.  I guess I just need to buy a GTIB to USB cord and I should be set?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(700 Views)

Hi Special,

@special427 wrote:

The old computer has a ni board in it, at-gpib/tnt that interfaced with the hp unit.  I guess I just need to buy a GTIB to USB cord and I should be set?

Buy the USB-to-GPIB from NI. And setup the new computer to the same OS as that 25 year old broken one!

You could also change to a recent system, using a modern OS with a recent LabVIEW version. In this case I guess you also need to create a new version of the software...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(692 Views)