cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interactive Panel for students

Sir:

Good day.

Hope this email finds you all well.

My apology for the inconvenience this may cause.

I would like to introduce to students how useful is labview interfaced with Arduino.

Im a new user for both Arduino and Labview.

My project is to request a user input a string formula and if its correct then it will lights up an LED(Geometric Shape corresponding to that formula).

LED's are powered and get high input from Arduino Digital I/O.

Hope you can share your brilliant ideas.Particularly on the ff:

1)To convert String input to boolean high/low

2)Case structure that will select different I/O port to be High state(if formula from user corresponds to the LED geometric shape then that shape will lights up)

Flow chart is attached for details.

Thank you very much.

Have a nice day Sir.

Best regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,895 Views)

@Jackdel wrote:

1)To convert String input to boolean high/low

This could be trivial (a simple "Equal" function will compare the strings for equality), or incredibly hard. Formula's can often be the same, but testing that can be hard. For instance a+b is the same as b+a, but checking that is not easy.

@Jackdel wrote:

2)Case structure that will select different I/O port to be High state(if formula from user corresponds to the LED geometric shape then that shape will lights up) 

I'd prefer a selector over a case structure (CSs give less overview). If you can set the output of a port, simply set the value to the Boolean result of the compare. If you need to turn one output on and the other off, invert the Boolean, and wire the inverted value to one, the original to the other. That would effectively toggle the LEDs.

Post what you have if you need detailed help on the implementation. Lots of us don't use Arduino, but can still help.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,858 Views)

This is not a LabVIEW comment, but more a Design/Description com? I don't really understand the User Experience.  I can envision two very different scenarios --

• Ask "Write the formula for the area of a <something>".  LabVIEW parses the string, and sets a bit in the Arduino according to some rule.
  • You present an Area Formula, and ask "For what Shape does this formula express the area?".  Either:
    • LabVIEW presents a list of shapes and the user enters "A", "B", "C", "D", etc. or
    • the user types the name of the appropriate shape and LabVIEW evaluates the answer.

One is tempted to ask "Why LabVIEW?", or why are you using an Engineering Workbench to handle a Question/Answer/String parsing problem?  Surely you can devise more interesting tasks for LabVIEW + Arduino ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,851 Views)