LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interacting with a web based utility

Hi Folks,

My requirements are to access a web based utility, login, run a test, then read the results from the page.

From an example on the forum, I tried using the Windows Scripting Host (WSH) object.  Using WSH I was able to access the website and run the test. But I can't figure out how to read the page contents from the website. 

Can I read a web page using WSH?

DataSockets work nicely for reading a web page, but I haven't found any examples of sending data to a web page.

How do you send characters to a web page with DataSockets?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
 steve

P.S. Using LV 7.1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,196 Views)
Steve,

Datasocket can be used to read the site, as you have seen, but there will not be a way to write to a web location using this API. I am not familiar with WSH, which still may be an option that you can explore.

While there are no tools built into LabVIEW that would allow you to interact with your site, there still may be a way to accomplish what you need. I do not have personal experience with these methods, but they may be things to consider:

1) If you can navigate the webpage using key strokes, you could potentially use calls to the Windows DLL that would mimic key strokes.
2) If you are familiar with the low-level specifics of the http protocol, you can use the TCP/IP VIs in LabVIEW to build an application that interfaces with your web page.

I am not sure that it would be worth your time to develop such an application using these methods, but I will leave that up to you. I hope this information is useful. Please post back if you are able to accomplish this application! Thanks,

Mike D.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,181 Views)