From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating TortoiseSVN with LabVIEW's Compare tool

I’m trying to set up the TortoiseSVN Diff tool, as described:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-12175 and

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3BEC521972301FF2862576EA00609CA6

To configure TortoiseSVN to use LabVIEW’s compare tool I added the following for “.vi” file extensions:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVCompare.exe" %mine %base -nobdcosm –nobdpos

The links above tell you use “Program Files,” but on my system the LVCompare.exe is located in my “Program Files (x86)” directory.

When I try to run the diff tool (right click on the file in question -> TortoiseSVN -> Diff with previous version), I get the following error:

LVCompare Error

I cannot get the LVCompare tool to work with the command prompt either, as described:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/configlvcomp_thirdparty/

I did notice that it mentions the Compare tool is only available with LabVIEW Professional Development System.  Does this apply for using it with TortoiseSVN as well? I am running LabVIEW 2011 Full Development System on Windows 7 (64 bit).  The version of TortoiseSVN I am using is: TortoiseSVN 1.7.6, Build 22632 - 64 Bit , 2012/03/08 18:29:39 Subversion 1.7.4.

Any help getting the LVCompare tool integrated with TortoiseSVN to work would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Lauren

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,746 Views)

What bit version of LabVIEW do you have ? 32 bit right ?

I think that this is the problem. Have you tried to install the 32 bit version of TortoiseSVN ? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,734 Views)

I'm using SVN to manage my source.  I will say that the LVCompare feels fairly buggy sometimes.  In addition i'm using 32 bit however, for my .vi instances this is what my flags look like

"C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVCompare.exe %base %mine"

I do not have the extra two flags which i believe just avoid comparing item position.  I doubt this is your problem, but just some FYI.  G/L 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,729 Views)

dkfire,

Yes, I am using 32-bit LabVIEW.  I tried the TortoiseSVN installer for the 32 bit version.  It does an initial check (before the installer really starts) and gives an error saying you should install 64 bit.

Jed394,

The extra tags are:

• -nobdcosm means do not compare the appearance of block diagram objects.
  • -nobdpos means do not compare the size or position of block diagram objects.

I tried it without those and got the same error.

Thanks,

Lauren

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,720 Views)

Lauren_CPC wrote:

I cannot get the LVCompare tool to work with the command prompt either, as described:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/configlvcomp_thirdparty/

I did notice that it mentions the Compare tool is only available with LabVIEW Professional Development System.  Does this apply for using it with TortoiseSVN as well? I am running LabVIEW 2011 Full Development System on Windows 7 (64 bit).  The version of TortoiseSVN I am using is: TortoiseSVN 1.7.6, Build 22632 - 64 Bit , 2012/03/08 18:29:39 Subversion 1.7.4.

Yes it does. LVCompare is only a simple wrapper executable that eventually tries to run a VI in the LabVIEW installation directory. And this VI will not work if the LabVIEW installation is not licensed as Professional Development system.

Note to the AEs: In the second link of Laura's post, it states incorrectly: Primary Software: LabVIEW Development Systems>>LabVIEW Base Package

This is completely contradictory to the note in the last link, that states that the Professional Development System is required. A documentation correction request seems in order.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 5
(3,707 Views)