LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing the 8.2.1 run time engine on a system with LabVIEW 8.2 installed

@smercurio_fc wrote:

That's it. That's all that I was saying. Next time I'll be a little more clear, or perhaps I'll just stay out of the conversation alltogether. Smiley Wink

Please don't stay out of the conversation.  I appreciate your input. 🙂

And, I appreciate your efforts to help spread the word about OpenG.  I keep my eye on "OpenG" discussions on the NI forums and I know that your a big proponent 😉

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,198 Views)

@MattH wrote:

I think you are just going to have to try it... perhaps using VMware?.... May try  it myself, I am upgrading Dev Suite and have some free time... I'll let you know my findings.

If you do get around to it, I certainly would like to know your experience.  One of the reasons that I posted this question to the forums is that issues might not pop up right away.  For example, it might cause problems only in EXEs that you build that use DAQmx (or something else, crazy like that).

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,194 Views)

UPDATE:

1. I rebuilt my original 8.2 projects to 8.2.1.
  2. I copied the 8.2.1 executables to a Virtual Machine with 8.2 runtime only.

ALSO:

1. I ran my 8.2 executables on a 8.2.1 runtime.

In either case above I had no issues to note. While I would expect to find some issues through thorough testing, all of my projects seem to work fine with either 8.2.x revision of the runtime.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,184 Views)

@MattH wrote:

UPDATE:

1. I rebuilt my original 8.2 projects to 8.2.1.
  2. I copied the 8.2.1 executables to a Virtual Machine with 8.2 runtime only.

ALSO:

1. I ran my 8.2 executables on a 8.2.1 runtime.

In either case above I had no issues to note. While I would expect to find some issues through thorough testing, all of my projects seem to work fine with either 8.2.x revision of the runtime.

Hi Matt,

Were you able to run your 8.2.1 executables on the 8.2 runtime engine? (your posting is a little unclear about that.)

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,178 Views)
Sorry...

Yes. I ran 8.2.1 exes on 8.2 runtime AND 8.2 exes on the 8.2.1 runtime.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,177 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:
For example, if I have to update my LabVIEW 8.2.1 run-time in order to use the VI Package Manager, and I develop my software with 8.2, what happens, if anything, when I build an application and I try to distribute it on other computers? The other computers won't have 8.2.1. They will be at 8.2. The seemingly obvious answer would be: update the run-time engine on the other computers. But is this all?

Don't be so quick to get offended. You didn't clarify your statement. I also made an assumption. Keep talking.
In any case, in the quote above, you assume that by installing the 8.2.1 run-time only, your built executables will require the 8.2.1 run-time. I don't see why, considering your dev. environment will still be in 8.20. I think the builder doesn't care about the run-time, only the dev. enviro.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,172 Views)

@MattH wrote:
Sorry...

Yes. I ran 8.2.1 exes on 8.2 runtime AND 8.2 exes on the 8.2.1 runtime.

Thanks for testing.  I have just tested and confirmed this to be true.  I tested on a virgin windows installation with only the 8.2 run time engine installed.

The reason that I had doubts is that, when beta testing the next release of LabVIEW (which automatically installed the 8.2 run time engine) I got a dialog stating that I needed a newer version of the run time engine, in order to run my application which was built using 8.2.1.  I then installed the 8.2.1 run time engine and had not issues running my application.

So, it seems that this issue is probably related to the LabVIEW beta installation, or something.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help.  That said, I'd still like to know if installing the 8.2.1 run time engine will cause any issues for the 8.2 development environment.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,155 Views)
Jim:

I have another user's machine that I am planning on updating to LV 8.2.1 in the next few days. He has 8.2 now. I go install 8.2.1 runtime on his box in the next few days and post the results...
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,151 Views)

@MattH wrote:

I have another user's machine that I am planning on updating to LV 8.2.1 in the next few days. He has 8.2 now. I go install 8.2.1 runtime on his box in the next few days and post the results...

Thanks, that would be a great help!
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,144 Views)

Jim:

We installed Runtime 8.2.1 on his box early this morning. He is using LabVIEW 8.2 now without issue.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,119 Views)