LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing addons in NXG 2.0 also installs NXG 1.0

I just installed LabVIEW NXG 2.0.  Afterwards I installed the OpenG Toolkit (v1.0) from Package Manager, and it installed (as a dependency) NXG 1.0 as well.  (The same thing happens for the MGI Toolkit.)

I did see that LabVIEW NXG would be installed (which I thought was suspicious), but it gave version number 4.9.3.49152-0+f0, which I assumed was an internal version number for NXG 2.0.  Only afterwards did I realize that 4.9.3.49152-0+f0 corresponds to 1.0 and 5.2.0.49154-0+f2 corresponds to 2.0 (by enabling the option to show full version numbers in Package Manager).

I guess it is logical that a toolkit may work with a certain version of NXG, and the purpose of the package manager is to get all the dependencies for you.  But the dependency list should at least show the dependency versions that are consistent with what is displayed elsewhere.

Message 1 of 5
(3,191 Views)

Sorry for the confusion!  I've relayed your dependency feedback to the appropriate teams covering NI Package Manager. 

As for the OpenG and MGI toolkits, I expect to see these add-ons go live here in the next few days.  Hold tight and we'll have them out as soon as we can.

Thanks!

-RDR

LabVIEW Tools Network

Message 2 of 5
(3,110 Views)

Thanks for letting everyone know your experience.  Are you having any issues, or just PSAing the info?

May be good to post this to the Feature Request forum!

-Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,100 Views)

This posting was originally a check to see if anyone else had experienced (what I thought was) unexpected behavior and to ask how to get around the problem.  But as I was writing, I realized that the package manager technically did its job by installing dependencies (in spite of the fact that it was not clear what the dependency was).  It just seems odd to me that a toolkit could force the installation of an application.  So in the end, this posting turned into a PSA.

But since I'm here, I'll ask--is this intentional behavior?

I'll post a feature request with some thoughts for improvement.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,077 Views)

Feature request added here

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,021 Views)