LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing LabView 2016 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - NI Example Finder not working

I am attempting to install LabView2016 on a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS laptop.   Used the following command to install:

sudo sh ./INSTALL

When I try to call the NI Example Finder from the LabView Menu, nothing happens.   Then I call the program from the command line:

/usr/local/natinst/share/example finder/1.0/bin$ ./NIExampleFinder

I get a pop-up box with the following error:

An error occurred while trying to find your NI application software names and paths.

It looks like the Examples do exist on the machine under /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2016-64/examples - so not sure if there is anything I can do to link these up?  When I dismiss the pop-up and try to access anything through the NI Example Finder, nothing is available.

When I ran the install, it produced the following errors:

error: open of niwebpipelinei-2.0.5-f3.i386.rpm failed: No such file or directory
./INSTALL: 406: [: Illegal number: 
expr: syntax error
niwebpipelinei-2.0.5-f3.i386.rpm 0 kB
expr: syntax error

Not sure if that package is needed or the install script needs to be updated.

The install then produces a multitude of the following errors:

/2016LV-LinuxPro/bin/cpio: cannot make directory `.': File exists
/2016LV-LinuxPro/bin/cpio: ./usr/local/natinst/share/example finder/1.0/products/labview/16.0/exbins/english/platform: Value too large for defined data type
/2016LV-LinuxPro/bin/cpio: cannot make directory `.': File exists
/2016LV-LinuxPro/bin/cpio: ./usr/local/natinst/share/example finder/1.0/bin: Value too large for defined data type

Not sure if these error are the problem or not.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,154 Views)

Hi,

Ubuntu is a Debian derivative and uses (.deb) packages while (.rpm) is used on Red Hat (and other NI supported distributions).

You can try to convert one format to another, but I am not sure how well that would go.

Let me know!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,094 Views)

Hi GrouchyMama

Thanks for the reply.  I believe their script takes care of this eventuality as it is using cpio to un-archive the rpms and installing them that way.   I could use alien and transform the rpms to debs, but I would need to go through their install script and change it appropriately.   Hoping for a simpler solution with a great possibility of success.   I was wondering if anyone who has installed on ubuntu has had similar results?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,081 Views)

Had similar problem after "partial" Labview 2019 installation on Ubuntu(installed on VM).
Installation was not fully completed by INSTALL script launched from mounted iso image.

Because of that partial installation niexfinder*.rpm packages was not installed.
To fix this we can use sudo alien -i --scripts <niexfinder*>.rpm from unpacked iso image and finish installation.
Second step is to download NI System Configuration and sudo ./INSTALL, again from unpacked image.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,992 Views)