From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing LabView 2013 with OS X Mavericks

I am trying to install LabView 2013 Student Edition on my MacBook which is running OS Mavericks. Everytime I run the installation I get an error saying that the installation failed but with no more specific information. The drivers in LabView 2013 are NI-488.2 3.0.1 and NI VISA 5.4.0. I tried doing a custom install that didn't include these drivers but I still get the same error.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,016 Views)

Hi ambarr,

As Mavericks was released about a month ago, LabVIEW 2013 doesn't officially support it yet.  I would think that this would be resolved quickly.

Are there any specific error codes that are reported, or just "Installation Failed"?

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,975 Views)

All I get is an installation failed message.

Is OS 10.8 supported or is 10.7 the latest OS that is fully supported? It's unclear to me from some of the discussion posts if the 64-bit kernel in 10.8 is still a problem or not.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,962 Views)

According to our site, OSX 8 is supported for LabVIEW.

http://www.ni.com/labview/os-support/

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,956 Views)

ambarr,

LV2013 runs fine on OS X 10.8.5.  I have not moved to Mavericks because of reports like yours.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,938 Views)

While LabVIEW 2013 is officially unsupported on OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" (i.e. OS X 10.9 isn't listed as a supported operating system within the LabVIEW 2013 for Mac readme and the LabVIEW OS support page hasn't been updated), we did do some preliminary testing with LabVIEW 2013 on Mavericks and didn't find any major issues.

I've also just tested both the LabVIEW 2013 Student Edition and Evaluation version on a clean system running Mavericks with only a couple of hicups:

1. Both the Student Edition and Evaluation version install correctly, but after the install is complete it prompts to install XCode as a script tried to invoke a terminal command (lipo) and failed. This didn't appear to cause any ill effects.
  2. The Evaluation version is unsigned, and needs to be opened by right-clicking the installer and choosing Open. 

I've been running LabVIEW 2013 on Mavericks since its been publically available without issue.

ambarr: Could you choose Window » Installer Log from in the installer menu when the installer fails, paste that into a text file, and post that here? It should should list the errors that are responsible for the failure in more detail.

Thanks,

Fred Visser -- SystemLink R&D -- National Instruments
Message 6 of 11
(5,913 Views)

Thanks for the report, Fred.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,902 Views)

Here's are the errors from the installer log:

Dec 4 08:06:57 Alex-Barrs-MacBook.local Installer[4543]: Package Authoring Error: There are 2 packages with the bundle identifier com.ni.LabVIEWNSPlugin130
Dec 4 08:06:57 Alex-Barrs-MacBook.local Installer[4543]: Package Authoring Warning: LabVIEW 2013 Runtime Engine.mpkg authorization level is NoAuthorization but was promoted to AdminAuthorization for compatibility, ensure authorization level is sufficient to install.
Dec 4 08:06:57 Alex-Barrs-MacBook.local Installer[4543]: Package Authoring Warning: LabVIEW 2013 Student.mpkg authorization level is NoAuthorization but was promoted to AdminAuthorization for compatibility, ensure authorization level is sufficient to install.
Dec 4 08:07:12 Alex-Barrs-MacBook.local installd[368]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Dec 4 08:08:40 Alex-Barrs-MacBook.local installd[368]: PackageKit: *** launch path not accessible
Dec 4 08:08:40 Alex-Barrs-MacBook.local installd[368]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “LabVIEWGPIBShell 3.0.1.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fc8fa0c10a0 {NSFilePath=./postinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/Users/ambarr/Downloads/Labview%202013%20for%20Mac/LabVIEW%202013%20Student.mpkg/Contents/Packages/LabVIEWGPIBShell%203.0.1.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.ni.LabVIEWGPIBShell130, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “LabVIEWGPIBShell 3.0.1.pkg”.} {
NSFilePath = "./postinstall";
NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cLabVIEWGPIBShell 3.0.1.pkg\U201d.";
NSURL = "file://localhost/Users/ambarr/Downloads/Labview%202013%20for%20Mac/LabVIEW%202013%20Student.mpkg/Contents/Packages/LabVIEWGPIBShell%203.0.1.pkg";
PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.ni.LabVIEWGPIBShell130";
}
Dec 4 08:08:41 Alex-Barrs-MacBook.local Installer[4543]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Dec 4 08:08:41 Alex-Barrs-MacBook.local Installer[4543]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Dec 4 08:08:41 Alex-Barrs-MacBook.local Installer[4543]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,884 Views)

Hey ambarr,

It appears that the installation is failing as it tries to install the GPIB driver. We usually ship the Student Edition on CD or as a .iso file, and include the GPIB and VISA drivers, but it looks like your copy just has the main "LabVIEW 2013 Student" installer package and doesn't have a drivers included.

To fix this, just choose the Customize button on the Installation Type section of the Installer, and uncheck GPIB and VISA. Then, later if you need either of those drivers, just download and install them separately (GPIB - 488.2 and VISA).

Hope this helps!

Fred Visser -- SystemLink R&D -- National Instruments
Message 9 of 11
(5,875 Views)

I think that worked?

I downloaded and installed the two drivers from the links above and then ran a custom installation with the drivers unchecked. I still get an installation failed notice (the error log lists an error while running object cache) but when I go to my applications folder I do have a NI folder with a copy of LabView that I can run.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,843 Views)