From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing LabVIEW-built app disables Windows device manager? Help on how to diagnose the problem further?

Solved!
Go to solution

Please can anyone shed light on this, or suggest where to look?

I've built an app using the Application Builder from LV2014 (32bit).

On a Win7 X64 PC at work it installs and runs ok.

On a Win7 X64 PC at the customer it installs ok, but then after restarting Windows as requested "device manager" no longer works and there are some un-editable registry entries related to nipalu. The customer is running Symantec security software. An IT tech from the customer is suggesting that LabVIEW is interacting with device drivers and this is causing the problem, but we don't know how to go further. It's not really acceptable to deploy machines in which Windows device manager no longer works. Surprisingly the app itself still works - it's just Windows that's messed up.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,865 Views)
What hardware does your application use? I'm suspecting driver issues. Also, what do you mean that the device manager doesn't work?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,857 Views)
thanks for reply. It uses gige Ethernet camera and USB dio interface. device manager now shows a completely empty window.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,850 Views)
OK, let's try an experiment. Create three versions of your application for test purposes. In the first disable all the external hardware accesses. In the second disable just the camera, and in the third disable just the USB dio.

See which version(s) kill the device manager and which do not.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,842 Views)
Thanks - will try. Will have access to customer machines later this week.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,839 Views)
Sounds good. My bet is on the camera causing the problem. Does NI make the camera you are using? If not it might be helpful to talk to the camera vendor and see if they have seen this before.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,835 Views)
I'm hoping the gige protocol is pretty generic. I'm using LabVIEW's driver with an Intel pro/1000 card, but it might be configured according to the camera manufacturer specs. Will try apps with a range of content.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,826 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author markward

Thanks for the suggestions. The company IT guy wasn't able to speak to anyone in support at NI UK (no-one was available), but he managed to track it down to an issue with Dell Data Protection Encryption Enterprise Edition. Removing that first, then installing the LabVIEW app, then reinstalling DDPE gave a system where everything worked.

We built apps that used progressively more labview drivers (base labview; vision; digital io)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,749 Views)