LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing LV 2017 over LV 2016 - Still a problem??

Solved!
Go to solution

I currently have Labview 2016 but want to install 2017. On my previous computer I had 3 versions installed but I read in this forum that there are problems installing 2017 without uninstalling 2016. Is this still an issue? I want to know how much time to put aside for this. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,989 Views)

I haven't had an issue with both LV 2016 & 2017 on the same computer.  Moreover, I have never had an issue with several versions of LV on the same computer.  Even having them run simultaneously.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,960 Views)

@rtpumps wrote:

... but I read in this forum that there are problems installing 2017 without uninstalling 2016. ...

Thanks

Can you share a link so I can read about that as well please?

So far 2016 and 2016 are playing nice together for me and the only thing that I would guess could be of concern are channel wires but if there are other things, I would to learn about those.

Thank you!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,954 Views)

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/There-may-be-a-problem-installing-LabVIEW-2017-quot-on-top-of/td-p/...

The issue was confirmed.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 9
(2,945 Views)

@billko wrote:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/There-may-be-a-problem-installing-LabVIEW-2017-quot-on-top-of/td-p/...

The issue was confirmed.

Thank you for the link.

I cam away understanding it happens with Windows 10 machines. Is that how you read that thread?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,933 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GDthomas

@Ben wrote:

@billko wrote:

The issue was confirmed.

Thank you for the link.

I cam away understanding it happens with Windows 10 machines. Is that how you read that thread?

Ben

Yes, it definitely appears to be a Win10 issue.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 6 of 9
(2,920 Views)

Great, I'm running Win 7 so I guess I'll give it a go.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,897 Views)

I'm one of the people who reported this problem, brought it to NI's attention, was told that they could duplicate it, then was told they no longer could duplicate it.

Here's my experience, in a nutshell:

• Laptop (Win 10 x64) had LabVIEW 2016 installed (LV, LV-RT, Vision, drivers).  Tried to install LabVIEW 2017, seemed to work but MAX was totally hosed (saw no devices, right-hand pane couldn't show My Computer fully).
  • Called NI, AE walked me through trying to "fix" MAX.  Failed.  I said I'd uninstall/reinstall (meaning Add/Remove Programs, NI Software, Remove All, start all over with 2016/2017).
  • Could not install 2016 reliably.  Services during installation were not installing properly.
  • Spent the better part of 4-5 days "fixing" the laptop.  Had to resort to Uninstall + File/Folder Deletion + Registry Scrub (by hand).  Able to reinstall LabVIEW 2016.
  • Heard NI confirmed problem, then couldn't confirm (the nature of the Beast).
  • Was successful (I think) doing a dual-installation on a Windows 7 (x64) machine.
  • A week ago, tried again on a "scrap" Windows 10 desktop.  Again, success.  Note that this was a very recently-built machine, no "old" code, not much stuff.
  • Decided to "try again", but on home Desktop (also Windows 10 x64), as Laptop was considered "too valuable to screw up".  Turns out Desktop had 2014, 2015, and 2016 installed -- I decided to do only 2014, 2016.  2014 installed without problems.  I had enabled NI Updates, and decided to "update as I go" (my usual pattern).  During the Update process, I noticed that NI Services were again starting to disappear, and that MAX was becoming hosed (now nothing showed in the right-hand pane).  I'd gotten an error message when trying to update NI-VISA, something about not having sufficient privileges to start (or stop?) an NI Service (don't remember which one).  Recall I'd seen and reported this a few years ago, tried the Fix (a Repair on NI VISA, slower and more frustrating than a Complete Uninstall + Reinstall), which fixed the Services but left MAX still hosed.
  • Reported the latest findings to NI, suggesting that part of the problem might be the NI Update Service, which appeared to have gratuitively stuck some LabVIEW 2017 stuff on my machine that had only LabVIEW 2014 installed.  I sent them the full Service Report two days ago, and it is Somewhere In the Works.  Meanwhile, I'm starting the slow, painful process of getting the NI Badness out of my Desktop ...

Your mileage may vary.  I do not plan, at the present time, to install LabVIEW 2017 on any other physical machine.  If time permits (I do have other things to do), I may try building a system on a Windows 10 VM ...

Bob Schor

Message 8 of 9
(2,891 Views)

Bob,

Do you by any chance have SR# that you were using when you reported this issue?

Thank you,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,889 Views)