LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing 2011 makes 8.2.1 fail (daqmx)

I installed labview 2011 to evaluate it and found that the mxdaq library (C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.2\vi.lib\DAQmx) had disappeared. I could no longer view vi's that talked to daqmx devices. I could not point to the 2011 library as due to version issues.

I removed daqmx 9.3.5 and reinstalled 9.2.1. This fixed the 8.2.1 issues but the 2011 had no daqmx vi's

Is there a way to be able to run both versions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(2,800 Views)

on the same machine at the same time... NO.

NI only supports a limited number of LV versions. With the install of LV 2011 the new DAQmx drivers did a very thorough job and removes what it does not support.

I use a sepearte boot partion for each version of LV to avoid just that issue.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(2,798 Views)

You can install one of the versions on a Virtual PC.  I use VMWare - as it is available at my company.  I have had some luck controlling instruments through the Virtual PC.

Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(2,796 Views)

Thanks for the info, I guess I don't find either of these solutions particularly palatable. I have never had significant problems running multiple versions before and find this disappointing.

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(2,783 Views)

@Dan_P wrote:

Thanks for the info, I guess I don't find either of these solutions particularly palatable. I have never had significant problems running multiple versions before and find this disappointing.

Dan

I have 4 PCs in my cube to support all of the versions of LV I need to support.

I would very much like to be able to use a single PC as well.

You and I have only one option if we want that to change. We will have to convince NI to support LV versions they no longer make any money from. If you come up with any ideas, let me know.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 23
(2,777 Views)

Hi Dan,

The problem you are facing is related to the compatibility between the LabVIEW version and the DAQmx drivers. This chart explains how the compatibility works between LV versions and DAQmx versions. There is no compatible driver between LV 8.2 and 2011.

Another important chart is this one that explains the compatibility between LV Versions and Windows versions.

The best solutions will be the ones mentioned in this post: Use a Virtual Machine or use a dual boot.

Regards

steve.bm
AE | NI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(2,753 Views)

You don't have to support older versions, just don't wipe them out. All in one drivers may be good for NI, but not so much for end users. Why update if it causes more and more problems? Or maybe allow multiple versions of Daqmx on one machine. This is a NI created problem. The users, as usual, have to jump through hoops to get around it. Maybe get out of a constant beta cycle and support your long suffering users. If not support, at least don't shut them down every year. This is a problem that should not happen.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(2,742 Views)

I'm with ErnieH on this one.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(2,738 Views)

@ErnieH wrote:

You don't have to support older versions, just don't wipe them out. All in one drivers may be good for NI, but not so much for end users. Why update if it causes more and more problems? Or maybe allow multiple versions of Daqmx on one machine. This is a NI created problem. The users, as usual, have to jump through hoops to get around it. Maybe get out of a constant beta cycle and support your long suffering users. If not support, at least don't shut them down every year. This is a problem that should not happen.

I'll confess my ignorance.

I have never heard of more than one version of a driver for a piece of hardware on a PC.

Is that even possible under Windows?

Curious,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(2,735 Views)

No, it's not possible under windows to have multiple drivers. Essentially, you would need to uninstall one before the other could be installed. Knowing how long the installation process is, I would much rather have a second pc.

NI decided that they would support the last 4 versions of LabVIEW with each DAQmx release. However that decision was arrived at, someone would complain that their's is no longer supported. Validation is a long and expensive process. At what point would NI have to start charging for DAQmx and other drivers?

Message 10 of 23
(2,724 Views)