From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer generated executable, but disappears from windows start menu

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I'm having an issue where my executable installs correctly during the setup provided by the installer. However, as you can see from the two photos. As I upgrade from version 7.0.7 to 7.0.8 my program disappears entirely from the start menu and can not be searched for. It does still show up in the "Programs and Features" window.

Has anyone come across this before?

Thank you,

Chad

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,296 Views)

Taking a shot in the dark, I would guess the problem lies with your build specification. Can you post the lvproj file here? (I think just the lvproj is good, don't need the actual code).

Message 2 of 4
(1,248 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

Taking a shot in the dark, I would guess the problem lies with your build specification. Can you post the lvproj file here? (I think just the lvproj is good, don't need the actual code).

The installer build spec contains contains the short cuts to install for the executables.  The lvproj file will not contain the specifics.   

One of several things is likely to have happened.   The exe was rebuilt but not the installer ( meaning there was no longer an exe of the old version to install a shortcut to ) the shortcut target was removed from the installer build spec or, commonly what happens is the installer is rebuilt before the exe.

Better practice is to make sure the exe build is above the installer in the build spec listing and always do a clean all then a build all.  Build all always builds top to bottom of the build spec listing!

Any specs for a ppl should also list ABOVE any or all executables that depends on them.

Unless you have a very complicated lvproj.   And yes, I have built projects where I may wish to deploy a main exe and a couple of other utilities on a prototype target and use a second installer for duplicate systems. But if you're getting to that level of complexity you either have already mastered organizing your build specs or, need a toupee and a large bottle of aspirin. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 4
(1,240 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author OJwithPulp

Turns out the issue was a simple oversight, somehow my Source Files was changed in my Installer. All I had to do was re-add my executable so it could be accessed/installed in the "Program Files" folder during the setup.

Thank you all for your help,

-Chad

Message 4 of 4
(1,209 Views)