LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer - Registry Editing Issues - Bug?

Nothing really satisfactory.

It seems to create all the registry entries as I entered them the first time.  Even though they don't show up on subsequent views.  So after several shots of adding the entire registry structure I managed to do it mostly correct.  My example was just enough to illustrate the issue.

The things that I didn't get correctly added I moved out of the registry and into our database.  That might be a better place for them anyway.

Any chance of seeing a CAR for this?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(444 Views)

Hello,

I've provided a link to Microsoft's support page which explains why you can't create registry keys within the same level of the registry hierarchy:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fheydsst%28v=vs.71%29.aspx

You've already mentioned that changing the names of the folders is not an option, as two separate databases each use the folders you're creating keys for, but you can work around this by changing the relative hierarchies of the problem folders. 

Is there a reason you need to modify the Windows registry? Is there another way to achieve your desired outcome? 

Best,

Peter

--
Peter Rifken - Field Engineer & Business Manager
Boston / North New England & Maine
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(429 Views)

I believe you're mistaken on what Microsoft means by "same level in the registry hierarchy."  I think they are refering to trying to create two entries with the same name in the same spot in the hierarchy.  For example trying to create two folders below c_DB1 named Engines.  I wouldn't expect that to work.  Creating two keys with the same name in two different locations, even if they are the same depth of the hierarchy, is common.  I found some examples in the Windows registry dealing with file extentions.  Images attached.

I set the keys up in the installer so that the user setup is easy.  There's a windows utility to setup the ODBC database connections that creates this exact folder structure.  I should point out that all the registry keys are created in the manner that I type them in the first time I visit the registry screen.  The only issue is trying to edit them later.

Another neat thing happens if you add some keys(right hand pane) under the Jet heading when you initially set things up.  When you come back the jet folder is of course missing.  If you create a couple of new folders under p_DB1 eventually you end up with one of these new folders showing the keys that belong in the Jet folder.  I started with the initial folder setup from my first post.  Then came back in, created a new folder named "testname", and then the next folder I created below it automatically gets the keys from the original Jet folder.  The whole thing wacky.  Some (zipped) images attached showing this.  I took these in LV2010 sp1 because it's what I have available at the moment, but I discovered this issue in LabVIEW 2011.

Download All
Message 13 of 16
(425 Views)

That is neat/interesting/whacky! I will file a CAR for this, as I don't see why LabVIEW would create rules about editing the registry which aren't even followed by Windows. One of the answers I've is received is "to limit the potential damage a user could do to his system with a faulty program." Thank you for clarifying the issue

--
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(413 Views)

Anything to help 🙂

I'd appreciate it if you'd post the CAR # here once you've got it filed so I can follow it.

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(411 Views)

This was reported to R&D (#318774) for further investigation. Thanks for the feedback Wart! 

--
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(407 Views)