From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation problems with NI-Sync 3.0 and LabVIEW 8.6

Solved!
Go to solution
I'm trying to use NI-Sync 3.0 with the PXI-6682 timing and GPS board. However NI-Sync VIs  that functioned under LV8.5.1 are broken with LV8.6, and NI-Sync no longer shows up in the Block Diagram Functions Measurement I/O menu. Have NI-Sync functions been moved, deprecated, or just not yet supported in 8.6? Or is the NI-Sync installation procedure different with 8.6 compared to 8.5.1?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(4,370 Views)
Message 2 of 27
(4,336 Views)

Hi Magma,

It is likely that you have Ni-Sync enabled to support LabView 8.5.1 currently and it does support a single version of LabView at a time. You might want to reintall it and this time make sure that the version of LabView for which you specify support during installation is LV 8.6. Hope this helps.

Ipshita C. 

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 3 of 27
(4,321 Views)
I am having the same LabView 8.6 and NI-SYNC 3.0 compatibility issues.  It appears to me that no released version of NI-SYNC will work with LabView 8.6.

I received a pre release of NI-SYNC 3.1, which fixes the DAQmx Serial Number Property Node problem for PXI-665x cards.  However, NI-SYNC 3.1 broke more things that it fixed, at least for me on LabView 8.5.1.

So I uninstalled everyting National Instruments, and then did a clean install of LabView 8.6 and NI-SYNC 3.0.  It appears that NI-SYNC 3.0 and 3.1 do not have an option to install for LabView 8.6.  Bummer, you would think that some one at NI would have tried NI-SYNC on LabView 8.6.

My synical side makes me think that we will need to wait for LabView 9.2.1 and NI-SYNC 4.1.1.

Also, LV86 seams really, really slooooooow to launch.  Help, also LV Help really, really sloooooooooooooooow.

Kevin
Message 4 of 27
(4,309 Views)
Yes, I have been using these VIs as a starting point for some simpler ones (trying to PLL a PXI-4462 clock to the more accurate PXI-6682 TCXO via the 10MHz backplane). However, as noted, the NI-Sync 3.0 functions appear to be incompatible with LV 8.6, and these particular VIs are a bit too complicated and STILL need a highly accurate external 10 MHz clock..

Frankly, I was a little disappointed with the workarounds needed to get a highly accurate clock signal from the 6682. After all Stanford Research makes a 10 MHz Rb frequency standard with accuracy of 5 x 10-12, and Trimble an OCXO frequency standard 1 x 10-10, both with GPS disciplining, PPS output, and under $1500
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(4,293 Views)
As Kevin notes, the NI-Sync 3.0 installer allows selecting 8.51, 8.5, 8.2, and earlier versions of LabVIEW. LV 8.6 is not a selectable option, not surprising since NI-Sync 3.0 came out about a year ago. And installing LV 8.6 doesn't recognize NI-Sync in LV 8.5.1 directories, unless there is some workaround I've missed.

There is some very useful functionality that may have dropped between the cracks between new releases. Hopefully this can be cleared up soon.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(4,291 Views)

Here is a suggested workaround from tech support via email:

>Unfortunately there is no slated date for a new release of NI-Sync. However, what you can do is copy the directory over from your older version of LabVIEW to the LabVIEW 8.6 directory.
>
>Please copy the files from this location:
>C:\Program Files\National Instruments\<previous LabVIEW
>version>\instr.lib\niSync
>to
>C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\instr.lib\niSync

You can also copy the help file from \\LabView 8.5\help to\\LabVIEW 8.6\help and the sample VIs from \\LabVIEW 8.5\examples\instr\niSync to \\LabView 8.6\examples\instr. Have not tested it in detail, but at least the mainNI-Sync functions are visible.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(4,217 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Magma

Hello Magma,

I just wanted to confirm in this thread that NI-Sync 3.0 does not natively install support for LabVIEW 8.6, but your posted workaround is valid to enable support until the next version of NI-Sync releases.  A knowledgebase entry is being created to explain this and should be online in the near future.

Regards,

Mike Torba

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(4,192 Views)

November is coming soon, which means we should all be getting our quarterly CD/DVD shipments.

Hopefully we will be getting LabVIEW 8.6.1 and NI-SYNC 3.1.

Again, I hope we all do not have to wait for LabView 9.2.1 and NI-SYNC 4.1.1 before we can again have a version of ni-sync that works with labview.

Message 9 of 27
(4,029 Views)

February is now here, which means

we should all be getting our quarterly

CD/DVD shipments any day now.

I have heard from a relyable source

that LabVIEW 8.6.1 will be shipping.

NI-SYNC Beta 3.1b2 is out there.  I hope the release

version of 3.1 is included in out NI Dev Suite shippment.

Again, I hope we all do not have to wait for LabView 9.2.1 and NI-SYNC 4.1.1

before we can again have a version of ni-sync that works with labview.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(3,840 Views)