LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install the third-party driver in the LabVIEW RT system

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,How to install the third-party driver in the RT system of Ni Chassis, If anyone can help me solve this problem, I would be very grateful.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,384 Views)

Please provide some details.

What 3rd party driver are you trying to install?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,356 Views)

A can card with USB interface, named ZLG usbcan-i-min

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,351 Views)

Do they provide any drivers besides Windows drivers?  Do you know what operating system your RT system is running?  It might be VxWorx, or Pharlap, or possibly some version of Linux.

If the manufacturer doesn't provide drivers for the operating system you have, you probably won't be able to get it to work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,327 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author OTGZzz

You still haven't told us what LabVIEW RT hardware you want to use this for. Chances that it may work are minimal however. Here you can find a list of the different NI RT controllers and the operating system and CPU architecture they use: https://www.ni.com/nl-nl/support/documentation/compatibility/17/real-time-controllers-and-real-time-...

They provide a driver for Windows to download, and talk about Linux installation of a device driver, but mention in the next sentence "Please obtain the usbcan.ko or libusbcan.so.1 from our R&D engineer." Considering that this seems a Chinese based operation, you might be hard pressured to find any way to contact their engineers. Even if you can, their driver is almost certainly precompiled for Linux on Intel x86 or x64. But one kind of the Linux targets LabVIEW RT can run on is using an ARM CPU and the higher end models which are using an Intel x64 CPU still aren't exactly your standard Redhat, Ubuntu or similar desktop Linux distribution. Unless you can get their engineers to compile their kernel driver specifically for the NI Linux RT system and your specific CPU it still won't really work.

And if it is a Pharlap or VxWorks based controller you can forget it. Driver development for these systems is very different than for Windows or Linux, the necessary SDKs are very expensive (and in the case of Pharlap ETS long ago discontinued and impossible to purchase nowadays). Nobody with a sane mind would nowadays even spend one second about thinking to develop a hardware device driver for these two systems.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,311 Views)

thanks much

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,285 Views)