LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install of LV 8.5 broke NI-Motion

Hello,

I have a customer running one of our Scanning Magnetic Microscopes.  The executable to control
this instrument was written and compiled under LabView 7.1.  We've recently developed a new version
of the code under LabView 8.5 to improve the ac excitation and software lock-in capabilities of the
instrument.  When the newly compiled code didn't work at the customer's site, they installed LV 8.5
to try to run the source VIs instead of the new compiled version.  Now, not only does the new version not
function, but the install of LV 8.5 has rendered the previous version inoperable as well.

The problem lies with the scanning tables.  The motion subsystem is comprised of a PCI-7342 and a MID-7602.
The behavior of the previous executable would be to initialize the motion controllers when the software booted.
Now, the inhibit lights stay on instead of changing from yellow to green.  When the boards are communicated with
in NI-MAX and manually initialized, the tables are moveable, but this no longer happens programmatically like it
used to.

What is the recommended method to remedy this problem?  Should I have them uninstall LabView, and reinstall
the previous working versions of DAQmx, NI-Motion, NI-IMAQ, NI-MAX, and LVRTE 7.1?  Or should I have them
try to reinstall LabView 8.5?

Also, what is the mechanism for causing a previously working executable to no longer function?

Thanks,
Kevin Pratt
Tristan Technologies, Inc.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,441 Views)

When you installed LV8.5, did you install NI-Motion / IMAQ as part of it? 

These are add-on toolkits if I am not mistaken, which are installed seperately from the main LV installation.  It's been a while since I last installed IMAQs, but I do remember installing them seperately.

RayR

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,439 Views)

When I installed LV8.5 here, I installed NI-Motion and IMAQ as part of it for sure.  However, the executables compiled here didn't function on the machine in Italy.  This was prior to the installation of LV8.5 on their machine.  I don't know if they installed NI-Motion and IMAQ when they installed LV8.5 there, but I have asked them that question and am awaiting a reply.  If not, do you think just installing these add-on kits would get the job done?

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,437 Views)
Hi Kevin,

If I understand properly, everything is okay on your machine, right?  It is the machine in Italy which has the problem. 

Is the one in Italy running an executable or is it using Labview development with your source code?

RayR 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,424 Views)
Here is some additional information if Labview was upgraded to a newer version:

RayR

C/P:

When installing a new version of LabVIEW, it is necessary to reinstall all the toolkits and drivers after installing LV (Drivers such as: DAQmx, Vision, Motion).
This allows the newest LabVIEW to be recognized by the driver and toolkits.

Note that after you installed the toolkits on the newest LV version, the previous versions of LabVIEW won't have access to these toolkits. If you still want the toolkits to be availible for multiple versions of LV, please follow this
KB carefully.

If you are still experiencing problems, try repairing LabVIEW and any related software.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,422 Views)