From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install LabView 2019 on hard drive other than C:

Solved!
Go to solution

So, I recently downloaded the NI software bundle Spring 2019 because I wanted to upgrade from LabView2018 SPI1. To my disappointment, NI Package Manager doesn't allow me to choose a destination path and installs everything under C:/Program Files/ . Unfortunately, I don't have enough disk space on my SSD, so I wanted to have the option to install it on my other HDD, D:/.

This was possible when I installed LabView2018 SP1 in the past. Please note that I want to install the FPGA module with the Vivado 2017.2 compilation tools, so disk space is a serious issue...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(27,532 Views)

I am searching for this question too... I couldn't find a good answer. Someone suggested renaming the C: and 😧 drive temporarily. I have not tried it yet. Anyone else come across a better method?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(27,496 Views)

I got some more information on the topic from NI Support. You will want to change the directory manually within the registry key. Go to Windows Run and type in "regedit".

32-bit Software

1. Manually create your desired directory in the 😧 drive. For example, D:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments.

2. Manually create, edit if already exists, the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\National Instruments\Common\Installer

NIDIR = D:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments

64-Bit Software

1. Remove WOW6432Node

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\Common\Installer

2. Instead of NIDIR use NIDIR64. Also, they can't equal the same path value.

NIDIR64 = D:\Program Files\National Instruments

Message 3 of 27
(27,422 Views)

I wonder if there's a reason they don't let you choose?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(27,392 Views)

Bill,

If there is a reason, I do not know it. At least there is a work around.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(27,369 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TurboCostas

Hi guys,

Thought I would link you guys to the KB we have released about this. This is in the off chance that somebody finds this forum before the KB.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000015BtzSAE&l=en-GB

Thanks,

Michael

Technical Support Engineering

National Instruments

Message 6 of 27
(27,294 Views)

I "solved" this issue (I wanted the NIPM to download the install packages somewhere else) by creating a junction point in my file system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

I simply made a single folder point to a folder on another disk..... Not exactly the thing we should have to do to retain control over where stuff is on our PCs.

Message 7 of 27
(27,287 Views)

It's not ideal. I have submitted a feature request for this so hopefully, this is something that we can get implemented in a future release of NIPM

Message 8 of 27
(27,267 Views)

I have not had much luck with this proceedure. When installing Veristand to my second hard drive, the 64bit directory only has the .exe and nothing else. It doesn't launch.

I've attempted a full format/install of Windows on my C: but no behavior change. NI Support Request has not been able to find resolution either.

This is a much needed feature. My primary HDD is 256GB SSD and that's just not enough when using NI software (especially FPGA compile tools) with Windows as your primary development HDD.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(26,107 Views)

Hi PBarrett,

the simple/fast/rather cheap solution is to upgrade to a 512GB SSD…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(26,101 Views)