LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert the 'NI Data Socket 5.0'disk

I had Labview installed two or three years ago but it was also uninstalled a long while ago.

Since then, just once in a while, when I try to start some other program by clicking on its exe file, I am presented with a WIndows Installer message which says: 

The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available.
Insert the 'NI Data Socket 5.0'disk and click OK.

I have , for one reason or another, flushed the registry several times since uninstalling Labview, but doing a search for NI files doesn't reveal anything now. 

How can I get rid of this annoyance?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,660 Views)

Hi Syncopator

Sorry to hear that you're having issues getting everything fully uninstalled.

Please see the attached zip file which contains a word document describing the steps necessary to fully uninstall all NI components (It also contains a utility, hence the archive format)

Any issues please let me know

Kind Regards

Chris | Applications Engineer NIUK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,629 Views)

Thank you Chris.

Not totally effective I'm afraid.

No trouble in deleting the registry entires, of course, but misBlast doesn't work.

It disp;lays a long list of NI leftovers, but, having highlighted them all and clicking uninstall, I am first presented with a Windows Installer window saying

The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other

removable disk that is not available.

Insert the 'NI ActiveX Container'disk abd click OK.

Clciking past that, I then get an msiBlast message saying Error 1612 occurred when trying to uninstall NI ActiveX Container. 

Clicking past that,  I get anothr windows Installer message Insert the 'NI Authentication 12.0.0'disk and then click OK. 

And so on.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,623 Views)

Hi again

Ok so it certainly sounds like there's some low level corruption of one of the NI Windows Installers.

Could you try the steps outlined in the following KB for me? http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B9D8680F033CE12086257998006A5927?OpenDocument

Post the output here though, perhaps in addition to the email address listed in the KB.

Have you tried running MSIblast from the root administrator account on the machine? (i.e. 'Administrator' rather than an account with delegated administrator rights)

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,605 Views)

There are only two accounts, an Admin account with my name, and a Guest account.  No idea why there isn't a separate one with the name Administrator. 

The requested file is attached, and will be sent to the email address too.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,596 Views)

Hi

Thanks for that.

I think it would be worth running the MSIblast tool from 'safe mode' on your computer.

You can access this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key after pressing the power switch on your PC (from switched off).

This will an enable an extra menu which allows you to choose from several auxillary boot modes - select safe mode.

It should then boot and enable you to log in as Administrator.

Then do the clean uninstall procedure again as described.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,585 Views)

Thank you Chris.

I tried that but still get error 1612 when I press the uninstall button.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,575 Views)

Hi Syncopator

To be honest I'm at a loss for how to proceed from this point. 

I suspect some corruption to the Windows installer service with a scope that's greater than just NI's software 

i.e.

Dimension 4 v5.0,5.0.33,{935FF092-EEBA-4E97-8C1B-CD2364F392A4},,,File missing from cache,Thinking Man Software,2012/11/19,
User Profile Hive Cleanup Service,1.6.36,{7D15B945-2725-4443-AB3F-D900556612FE},,,File missing from cache,Microsoft Corporation,2012/09/06,

I can appreciate however that it's only the NI one which is causing you issues.

I'd probably have to recommend that you do a re-install on your OS at this point.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,560 Views)

Yes Chris, I thought it might come to that Smiley Sad

I suppose that I'll have to bite the bullet and get on with it, (and develop the habit of proper back-ups).

Thank you for your time and efforts though.

Regards. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,549 Views)