From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inexpensive DAQMX hardware for CLAD self-training?

Hello all,

I'm working through the LabVIEW Core 1 training as part of my CLAD study, and want to be able to write and test VIs using the DAQMX function library.  This is for my self-study (I'm not enrolled in any academic program).

Not having used DAQMX before, I'm looking for advice on affordable hardware that supports the kind of basic DC and AC waveforms used for NI LabVIEW DAQMX training.  The X-series USB-6341 with the BNC-2120 terminal block would do this, but this combo is quite expensive for training purposes.

Could someone please suggest a good NI hardware instrument (new or second-hand) that I could use to execute basic DAQMX functionality with my Windows 7 PC and LabVIEW 2017?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,479 Views)

If you are just looking for hardware in order to learn for the CLAD, can  you just simulate the hardware?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,475 Views)

Hi Matt,

Yes, some of the exercises in LabVIEW Core 1 use hardware simulation VIs (which show a simulated instrument front panel).  It would be nice to run an actual DAQMX VI in a simulation "shell" environment that allows one to exercise the DAQMX functions, but real hardware would be better.  Thanks for your input!

Oliver

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,467 Views)

The USB 6000 is the least expensive piece of multifunction hardware that I know of. It can do all of the basic DAQmx things but at the low cost it obviously doesn't do everything other DAQ hardware can.

https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/model/usb-6000.html

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,459 Views)

Ok that should get me on the right track.  I'll check out the USB 6XXX product line.

Thanks again!

Oliver

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,452 Views)

Over the years, we've purchased USB-6009 and USB-6002 for some teaching labs.  If you are a student, you can also consider purchasing a myDAQ, which is quite affordable for students.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,414 Views)

Even if you aren't a student I'd recommend the myDAQ.  New student price I think is $200, but can be found for less on ebay and doesn't require you to be a student.  It has AIO, DIO, lots of great examples, and basic test panels for DMM, frequency generate, scope like functionality and a bunch of other stuff.

Edit: Sweet looks like lots of cheap myRIOs on ebay too.  These I think retail for $500 students and $1000 for non students.  This wouldn't be a good CLAD DAQmx device, I'm just glad to see them available and cheap for personal projects.

Message 7 of 8
(3,369 Views)

I just ordered a few days ago a myDAQ, it was 180 EUR from a German retailer. I am preparing for my new job, where LabVIEW will not play a role anymore. So i need to keep things fresh via hobby projects 🙂 Another fun thing is to play with Raspberri Pi and Linx (ok, this is not DAQmx related)...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,362 Views)