LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Industrial Automation OPC Servers 5.1 and NI OPC Servers 4.2

Hi,

We are using LV with the DSC module to develop an application.

Is it possible to use NI OPC Servers 4.2 with LV 8.2.1?

The reason is when using Industrial Automation OPC Servers 5.1, the communication with an Allen Bradley SLC 5/04 PLC cannot be resumed after the network connection has been lost. This works well with NI OPC Servers 4.27403.1

Other question: Is there any problem to have Industrial Automation OPC Servers 5.1 and NI OPC Servers 4.2 installed on the same machine?

We tried to uninstall NI OPC Servers 4.2 by uninstalling DSC 8.5 but after rebooting, OPC Servers 4.2 was still installed. Is there any known problems with uninstallation of this module? Is there a correct procedure to uninstall it?  Also, is there a way to prevent it from running automatically at startup?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(13,399 Views)
Hi mstlaurent,

Thank you for posting to the NI Discussion Forum!

@mstlaurent wrote:
Is it possible to use NI OPC Servers 4.2 with LV 8.2.1?

No, NI OPC Servers cannot be used with LabVIEW 8.2.1. You will need LabVIEW 8.5 and LabVIEW DSC Module 8.5 to use NI OPC Servers.

@mstlaurent wrote:
Other question: Is there any problem to have Industrial Automation OPC Servers 5.1 and NI OPC Servers 4.2 installed on the same machine?

There should not be any problems with having both IA OPC Servers and NI OPC Servers installed on the same machine.

@mstlaurent wrote:
We tried to uninstall NI OPC Servers 4.2 by uninstalling DSC 8.5 but after rebooting, OPC Servers 4.2 was still installed. Is there any known problems with uninstallation of this module? Is there a correct procedure to uninstall it?  Also, is there a way to prevent it from running automatically at startup?

I haven't tried uninstalling LabVIEW DSC Module or NI OPC Servers before, but I'll give it a shot and let you know my results as soon as I know. I haven't seen any known problems with unistalling the module before. Is there some issue you were having that made you decide to uninstall the DSC Module? Thanks mstlaurent!

Message 2 of 15
(13,311 Views)

Dear Mr.Mike,

I have following questions relevant to your answers

"No, NI OPC Servers cannot be used with LabVIEW 8.2.1. You will need LabVIEW 8.5 and LabVIEW DSC Module 8.5 to use NI OPC Servers"

As I am aware of NI OPC Servers are also sold as a separate product (780012-03) apart from DSC 8.5. As an OPC server it should be complaint with OPC standards, according to that any OPC Client application should be able access the data from the OPC server.

Where does the Labview version come into play?

Can’t we use LV8.2.1 as a client (Using 8.2.1 accessing the data of the OPC Server V4.27403.1-U through Data socket connection OR Using LV 8.2.1 with DSC 8.2 by creating the OPC Client Instances?)

I am also working on a project which needs this critical information, kindly let us how can we make it if not why it can not be configured “Mr.Martin’s“ way?

Awaiting your reply

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(13,165 Views)

Hi Mike,

Is there some issue you were having that made you decide to uninstall the DSC Module?

We were troubleshooting a communication problem with the AB PLC.  We needed to see if the problem was only in Industrial Automation OPC Servers 5.1 and not in OPC Servers 4.2.

Unfortunately, even if we were selecting
Industrial 'Automation OPC Servers 5.1' , we suspected that OPC Servers 4.2  was used by LV.  The only way to be sure was to remove OPC Servers 4.2.

There is no "OPC Servers 4.2" in the list from "Add or Remove Programs" -> NI Software. We tried to uninstall DSC 8.5, thinking it would remove
OPC Servers 4.2 but it didn't.

Have you been able to uninstall it?

Just in case you are wondering why we are not using LV 8.5, this is a requirement of our customer. Their application is mission critical and they want to use an older version of LV.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(13,122 Views)
Hi Select Partner,

NI OPC Servers are installed with LabVIEW DSC Module 8.5 in an evaluation mode. This evaluation mode is fully functional but requires a restart after two hours. When you purchase NI OPC Servers, you receive a license to activate NI OPC Servers. NI OPC Servers was developed in partnership with Kepware and it is fully compliant with OPC standards; however, NI OPC Servers blocks any client connection other than LabVIEW 8.5.

You can use LabVIEW 8.2.1 as an OPC client but just not to NI OPC Servers. If you need an OPC Server which allows client connections other than LabVIEW 8.5, I would suggest contacting Kepware.
Message 5 of 15
(13,101 Views)
Hi mstlaurent,

To remove NI OPC Servers, you will need to go into the Add or Remove Programs, modify National Instruments Software, select NI LabVIEW DSC Module 8.5, and click Modify. A list of features then populates. From here, select NI OPC Servers and select Remove this feature. Since you've already removed the LabVIEW DSC Module 8.5, I'd recommend either performing a System Restore to a date before you removed the module and following the above steps or reinstalling LabVIEW DSC Module 8.5.

To answer you question about NI OPC Servers starting automatically, the NI OPC Servers should only be started if started manually by the user, loaded automatically by an OPC client, or configured to start as an NT service. It's possible that you have a Shared Variable Library that is deployed on your computer which contains an I/O OPC Server connected to the NI OPC Servers. If this is the case, undeploying the library should keep NI OPC Servers from starting when your computer boots up. You can also open NI OPC Servers and navigate to Tools->Options... Then click the Service tab and make sure the box Automatically start as a Windows NT service is unchecked. I hope this helps!
Message 6 of 15
(13,088 Views)
Hi Mike

I have tried to download the Kepware OPC server  and it seems to run fine. But I still cannot get in contact with it from LabVIEW 8.2.1 using DataSocket. It seems like datasocket can see the tags (I get an error if an unknown tag is used) but the data are not transferred to/from the OPC server.
I have also tried to install latest datasocket version 4.6.0 but it is still the same problem.
I have also tried to write an ActiveX interface for Kepware to with no luck due to missing documentation.

What is the trick to use LV 8.2.1 with Kepware OPC server?

(I do not have the PLC here so I simulate the Simens S7-300).

Regards
Henrik Molsen
microLEX Systems
H. Molsen, CIM Industrial Systems
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,019 Views)
Hi Henrik,

It sounds like you're having some issues with the DCOM settings you have set on your computer. I would refer to Kepware's DCOM Configuration for KEPServerEX document for more information on making the appropriate DCOM settings on your computer. I would suggest using the built-in OPC Quick Client to test the communication from client to server.

You can also download and install Server Explorer for debugging purposes to see if you can connect to the OPC server through that utility. Once you are able to connect to the OPC server there should not be any trick to get DataSocket to connect.

If that does not resolve the issue, you may want to check any firewalls or anti-virus software that may be blocking the communication from client to server. I hope that helps!
Message 8 of 15
(4,966 Views)

Hi Mike

The problems I have experienced seems to be related to the Open datasocket call. If a delay of 100-200 ms is inserted after the Open Datasocket and before a read/write everything works fine.

I have lately found other posts to discussion forums where other people have experienced  the same and an insertion of a dely have solved the problems.

Maybe the guys at NI should take a look at the Open datasocket syncronisation.... It seems like the Open call returns too early (before the OPC server is ready to accept read/write calls) for the handle returned.

Regards

Henrik Molsen

microLEX Systems 

Message Edited by hmo on 09-05-2008 01:40 AM
H. Molsen, CIM Industrial Systems
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,615 Views)

Hi hmo,

I want to see if I can replicate the behavior your seeing.  I just want to confirm, are you still using LabVIEW 8.2.1?

Also, are you performing a read after the open? Do get you an error if you don't include the delay, or just incorrect data? 

Regards,

Jeremy_B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 10 of 15
(4,581 Views)