LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexing out, rearranging array of clusters to show 3d surface

Hi Don !
My first guess of a 6D problem was false, that's simply a 5D problem !
I have been confused with the name you gave to the axis, since X and Y (sometimes x and y) were also T and I..., until I went through your previous posts and found that you were interest in image analysis.

From what I have seen with your data, you will not end with a surface, but with a messy volume, kind of thick triangular piece : each individual triangle overlay/intersect more or less the previous one, with a variation in position and slope.
The code attached in my previous post is pure W2K stuff, compressed on my PC. Here is a zip wersion, compressed on my Mac ! Again in two chunks...
There, I draw ONLY one triangle at a time, a
nd the corresponding pixel (index) can be choosen on the 2D image. If you modify the axis of the 3D picture, to fix them ("don't autoscale"), you will see when moving the cusor that there is no clear pattern of evolution of the surface.
So either some measurement noise is hiding the surface you are looking for, or it's not there !
CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 33
(1,131 Views)
here are the subs...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 33
(1,131 Views)
Yes, indeed you cracked it. What you have here is similar to what I showed earlier for one location. Now if we wanted to show all possible curves on one surface graph, how do we do this? See my attached example which is a modification of yours but intends to work for all possible x,y locations. However, when trying to plot multiple curves in the 3d curve.vi, we get an error.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 33
(1,131 Views)
Sorry, but I have not been able yet to draw several unconnected surfaces on 3D graph(s). Passing the chained arrays of I,T and V coordinates gives a single surface, where all the points are mixed, while you try to find a series of layered/secant surfaces.

I can't find advanced information on the possibilities offered by these tools.
I keep trying...
By chance, would you now something about mapping each point with a different color (I am trying to plot a geographical map in 3D...) ?

CC

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 33
(1,133 Views)
Have you tried to make a short mod of Ben's vi, to see what was plotted there (it's just a concatenation of all I,T,V data.
Here is a variation of his vi (using reshape array, gives a more compact code), where the voltage goes at the right place...
CC

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 33
(1,116 Views)
Hi Ben !
I think you had the right intuition here (again !!!). However, we are still stuck either with limitations of the 3D surface graphs, or with insufficient information about their use (how to plot an array of (surfaces, curves, trajectories, you name it...) ?
Since you are a gourou of the recently released LV 3D picture tools, don't you think that a display solution might be here ?

CC

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 33
(1,279 Views)
HI Don and CC,

I have been locked-up at a secure site all week and have not been able to keep involved.

Without risking the tylenol, it sound like you just want multiple plots and then you are done.

I modifed the last code posted by done using CC's sub VI's.

I create the plots dynamicly before you enter the nested loops.

Be patient! This is very CPu intensive work.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 17 of 33
(1,037 Views)
You added the finishing touches! I think this is very interesting. I didn't realize how challenging this was going to get and I still wonder if there is a way to approximate a 'voltage surface' from all of the curves. I envision situations where I could have 10000 X,Y locations! I would be shocked if the surface graph doesn't crash us with all that data.

Sincerely,

Don
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 33
(999 Views)
You asked:

"would you now something about mapping each point with a different color (I am trying to plot a geographical map in 3D...) ?"

I don't see how you can do this. However, you can use a pre-defined color table or custom color table you create for the surface. I think one of my posts showed this. Let me know if you need more details.

Sincerely,

Don
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 33
(1,096 Views)
The link below shows the result of using the "w" vector.

You first have to define a color table that that contains only unique assending values along with an equally sized array that contains each of the colors used by the chart. Note that the colors used in the CW 3-d graph are "GRB" NOT RGB.

Then all of the plots need configured to use a custom color ramp.

THe below link is has a couple of jpg's that illutrate that this can be done.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=84079&query.id=0#M84079

Post if can not figure out how to put this all together.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 33
(1,092 Views)