cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing max # of inputs on prompt for user input

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I would like to increase the number of inputs beyond 10 available on the prompt user for input function. At the moment I am using 9 of the 10 available inputs each running a subVI from a case structure. I seem to be limited to 10 inputs using the prompt user for input function so is there another way of prompting the user to select from >10  inputs preferably 20. 

Thanks for any help

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,113 Views)
The "Prompt User for Input" is an Express VI. You can convert an Express VI to a regular VI by right-clicking on it and selecting "Open Front Panel". Select "Convert" at the dialog. This will yield a new VI which you can modify to your heart's content.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,107 Views)

You can always write you own dialog with as many selections as you like.

🙂

Right-click the express VI and "open front panel" This will convert it to a VI that you can edit in any way you want. save it under a new name.

You might even want to add some validation code, e.g. to make sure that no more than 2 boxes are checked.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,106 Views)

Thanks for your advice -  I converted the express VI prompt for user input to a normal VI and started adding more inputs to the VI. However the converted VI (sub dialog.vi) still appears to be using the 9 express VI names for the inputs  used originally despite disconnecting all the terminals from the connector, rewiring inputs from the front panel and saving and reloading the VI. Is it possible to clear the express VI names to start a fresh? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,063 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris69

Chris69 wrote:

However the converted VI (sub dialog.vi) still appears to be using the 9 express VI names for the inputs 

I don't understand what you mean by this. The VI has only some (all the case "red) of the indicators wired to the connector pane. You don't have any of the other indicators wired.

Rather than having individual terminals you should use clusters. For example, one cluster indicator for your red cases, one cluster for your green cases, and one cluster for your "other" options. 

Aside: You have a comment on the front panel "Select up to 2 cases", but all of your controls are independent checkboxes, so there's nothing to prevent someone from checking all the boxes. I'm assuming you currently have the window size set so large for just debugging purposes. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,058 Views)