LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Include linked help built application

I am having a problem with the application builder, 2014SP1.

In the development system, I can include a pdf help file in the VI Properties >> Documentation section. (see http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvhowto/linking_vis_to_help_files/)

In this mode when a user clicks the "?" in Context Help the linked pdf document opens. I would like to have this functionality in the built application. Right now whenever I click the "?" in the built application the application crashes, see below.

<DEBUG_OUTPUT>
4/8/2015 10:59:09.991 AM
Crash 0x00000000: Crash caught by NIER
File Unknown(0) : Crash 0x00000000: Crash caught by NIER
minidump id: f08721df-0f61-4ad3-8c34-ab189cd1b6be
ExceptionCode: 0xE06D7363

</DEBUG_OUTPUT>
0x100011AB - nierInterface <unknown> + 0
0x10005E86 - nierInterface <unknown> + 0
0x1000620C - nierInterface <unknown> + 0
0x766407FE - kernel32 <unknown> + 0
0x77697F62 - ntdll <unknown> + 0
0x776837BE - ntdll <unknown> + 0
0x00000000 - <unknown> <unknown> + 0

I think this has to do with a path issue for the help file. How do I set up the path for the help file in order to have this functionality?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,579 Views)

I just want to double check the steps you've already taken:

1. You built an executable and enabled debugging so that you can then access the executable's block diagram?

2. You have the executable running and now you hover over the subVI that has custom help documentation?

3. The "?" is active and when you select it your program crashes?

What type of custom documentation are you adding? Local or Web-Based?

Rachel P. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,522 Views)

1. You built an executable and enabled debugging so that you can then access the executable's block diagram?

No, just a normal exe

2. You have the executable running and now you hover over the subVI that has custom help documentation?

Right now I made context help for my controls/indicators. I would like the manual I wrote to open when the user clicks the '?'.

This worked in the development environment using a local pdf document.

3. The "?" is active and when you select it your program crashes?

yes

A colleague, certified LabVIEW architect, gave me a work around. Here is the text of his response:

"I did a quick test and got the application crashing too even though the pdf file is copied into the data folder of the executable as it should.
One workaround I found is to switch from "local file help" to "web-based help". You can then use a property node to redefine the help URL as being the applicationfolder\data\file.pdf."

cheers,

mcduff

PS A service request may have been created for this issue.

test.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,515 Views)

Your CLA colleague is correct. That is a great workaround

Rachel P. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,497 Views)