From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import MAX configuration without device or simulated device

I'm hoping there's a way to do this.

In previous versions of MAX, it was possible to import Channel and Task  information without having to import the Device.  This was handy if you didn't have the DAQ boards installed on that PC, but you needed to check Task and Channel information. 

I'm currently trying to import an .nce file from a project where I'd used a USB6008 as the DAQ device.  I don't have access to one of those at the moment and it's one of the devices that cannot be simulated. 

I have tried simulating a similar device with hopes of somehow "tricking" it to import.  So far, no luck. 

Does anyone know of a way I can have a look at the Channel and Task information in that .nce file or possibly fanagle it into importing without or with another simulated device?
---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,411 Views)

Hi pallen,

If you are just importing channels and task information you can use the .ini file and manually change the PhysicalChanName of the tasks from the simulated device name to the real device name. Also erase the DAQmxDevice portion of the file, since you don’t want to simulate the device and the USB-6008 will be already in the other computer. I hope this is helpful,

Ana P
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,391 Views)
Hi Ana,

Thanks for your reply. 

The information will probably be useful to me in the future.  Unfortunately in the past, when I backed up this MAX config; I didn't realize that importing it later could be a problem.   So I never made an .ini backup. 

I now do this every time. 
---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,376 Views)

Hi pallen,

I actually don’t know of a way to change the configuration in the .nce file. It's a binary file which main use is to import and export complete configurations when you do not need to edit that configuration outside of MAX. The .ini and .txt are intended for editing outside of MAX. However you can always import the .nce in MAX, make the changes needed and export a .ini to your final destination. Sorry that this is not too helpful on your current situation.

Ana P
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,358 Views)