From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implement same logic as old VI into new VI

Hello,

Please see the attached VIs. I'm trying to create a new VI that automates the selection of the required input voltage and current level. The old VI required the user to manually select the ranges. 

New VI = VIT Config.vi

Old VI = Inst Inc VIT Config.vi

Disclaimer: my mastery of the use of arrays is a work in progress. 

I appreciate the feedback!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,064 Views)

@JayWW wrote:

Disclaimer: my mastery of the use of arrays is a work in progress. 

I recommend some of the training resources listed at the top of the forum.

Some initial obervations:

• You have missing values, for example if the tap voltage is 50.5, you fall into a black hole.
  • All you need is one case structure for each input.
  • Your cases differ by a single constant, the rest of the code can be shared.
  • You could just use a boolean array constant instead of all that song and dance starting with a numeric.
  • If you pick the correct representation for your numerics, there is no need to change to U8 later.
  • If you use "built array" in concatenate mode, you would not need to reshape later.
  • reshaping to an array with one element is the same as taking the first element.
  • reshaping the array with two elements again, ends up with an array of size=1, no matter what, so all earlier calculations are mostly lost.
  • To check ranges, one would typically threshold into an array of limits to get an index.

Do you have a truth table of the outputs you want based on input. we cannot really tell, because your code makes no sense, as already stated.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,018 Views)

Here's ow the old VI could be simplified. You ca use some of the ideas for the new VI too. 😄

altenbach_0-1642525960030.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,010 Views)

Here's one possible solution:

altenbach_0-1642527855409.png

You might need some extra code after deciding what should happen if the inputs are e.g. negative or if the input exactly hits a range boundary.

Message 4 of 6
(996 Views)

Hi altenbach,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm working my way through the online training as I work on projects. The "truth table" would be found in the old VI. I need to replicate the output of the old VI in the new VI.

I'm not sure how I would create an array that functions as a lookup table to supply an index. Where can I find more info on this?

I'm also unclear on how I could create a single case structure for each input. Would I somehow associate a string constant to each range? Or would this only work with the array that functions as a lookup table for indexes?

Thanks

• All you need is one case structure for each input.
  • Your cases differ by a single constant, the rest of the code can be shared.
  • You could just use a boolean array constant instead of all that song and dance starting with a numeric.
  • If you pick the correct representation for your numerics, there is no need to change to U8 later.
  • If you use "built array" in concatenate mode, you would not need to reshape later.
  • reshaping to an array with one element is the same as taking the first element.
  • reshaping the array with two elements again, ends up with an array of size=1, no matter what, so all earlier calculations are mostly lost.
  • To check ranges, one would typically threshold into an array of limits to get an index.

Do you have a truth table of the outputs you want based on input. we cannot really tell, because your code makes no sense, as already stated.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(993 Views)

Thanks for the examples! I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(990 Views)