cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea to eliminate cables using Labview modules

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,211 Views)

What kind of acquisition rate do you want for these analog signals?

I would recommend using a compact fieldpoint located at the tower with enough analog input and output modules to meet your channel counts.  You'll still need to get power to the tower.  You could send 120 VAC out there and have the needed power supply modules to break it down to the other voltates.  Or possibly send out the highest voltage of 28VDC and use power supplies to get it down to the other values.

The compact fieldpoint could be a controller based version if you need to do some signal processing at the tower, or it could be one that has an ethernet interface.  Even go wireless if you want to eliminate the ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,205 Views)

To replace power cables I have two suggestions:

1.  If you use a higher voltage, like Raves Fan suggested, you could get by with a smaller wire because the current will be much smaller.  With higher voltage (like 120VAC, you will need to step it down and rectify it to DC, then regulate it to get the various outputs.  A bit of extra circuitry but much smaller wires.

2.  Use solar power at the tower.  Solar panels, battery bank, regulators.  More costly but for nothing higher than 28v, this won't be that expensive.  That would eliminate the power lines completely.

For signal wires:  you could eliminate them by installing an RF system.  Search the internet.  They make systems that take analog signals and modulate them on radio carriers, and demodulate and restore to analog on the other end.  Take a look at PLCs, they interface well to radio systems.  Ravens Fan suggested compact fieldpoint.  I'm not familiar with it but I suspect it is similar to PLCs and that it too will interface to a radio system.

Eliminating the wires altogether will add expense to your project.  You have to decide if it is worth the extra investment.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,166 Views)