From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRobot and Bluetooth Adapter

Solved!
Go to solution

I have continued working on my IRobot Bluetooth project.

I have used the HC-06 to create a Bluetooth adapter for the IRobot connecting to the mini din port.

My Labview code outputs through UART to a Comm port, but my computer does not have Bluetooth built in.

If I were to get a HC-05 and connect it to the computers Comm port, could I then talk to the robot over Bluetooth. If so what exactly would I need to get to continue this project.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,442 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CSJeff98

@CSJeff98 wrote:

I have continued working on my IRobot Bluetooth project.

I have used the HC-06 to create a Bluetooth adapter for the IRobot connecting to the mini din port.

My Labview code outputs through UART to a Comm port, but my computer does not have Bluetooth built in.

If I were to get a HC-05 and connect it to the computers Comm port, could I then talk to the robot over Bluetooth. If so what exactly would I need to get to continue this project.

I would suggest, as I suggested before, an FTDI USB to 3.3V logic serial adaptor like this USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT_3.3  

If your computer has an RS-232 serial com port on it and you want to use that. then you will need to build a level shifter using a chip like a MAX3232 and four capacitors. https://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX3222-MAX3241.pdf

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,428 Views)

And from there it would be as simple as wiring the HC-05 to the USB-RS232 and plugging in the USB part to the computer?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,413 Views)

@CSJeff98 wrote:

And from there it would be as simple as wiring the HC-05 to the USB-RS232 and plugging in the USB part to the computer?

As long as you get the 3.3 volt version.

But with a slight caveat. I have found that these (HC-05 and 06) are 3.3 volt devices buy they are commonly placed a a little carrier PCB for use with an Arduino. The problem is they put a voltage regulator on the carrier to operate off a 5V supply like the Arduino, but with 3.3 volt data lines. That makes it a pain in the ass because you have to level shift the data to 3.3 volts when using a 5 volt Arduino.

When using a 3.3 volt Arduino the HC-05 will still run but with a reduced range.

What I did was jumper across the 5 volt regulator  it so it can be directly powered from 3.3 volts so it got it's full range.

Also do yourself a favor and buy an actual FTDI adaptor. 

Don't fall for some generic adaptor on Amazon for $5, chances are it will have a counterfeit Prolific chipset in it and will cause all kinds of headaches.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,404 Views)

Would you recommend any other Bluetooth adapters to avoid doing this or is it simply unavoidable?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,391 Views)

Just get a bare HC-05 module that is not on a carrier PCB made to plug in to a breadboard like the ones designed use with an Arduino.

What kind of HC-06 did you use on the I-Robot? Is the I-Robot 5V or 3.3V logic?

The ones on the carrier PCB will work fine on 5 volts without level shifting the data lines, but not forever.

I am guessing this is just one way comunications, from your computer to the I-robot but nothing coming back?

You could just get the 5 volt FTDI cable so you can directly power the HC-05, from 5 volts. The level shifting from 5V to 3.3 is a simple diode (1N4148) with it's cathode connected to the 5V serial data and a pull up resistor on the anode to 3.3 volts. The anode also connects to the Rx on the HC-05. 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,379 Views)