LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INI file functions don't work in EXE on on some devices

Solved!
Go to solution

the other possibility is the key or value violates the "Windows Configuration Settings File Format"; specifically zero length key (string type default) if the variant to data indeed throw an error. but if that is the case should have triggered both errors codes, even if the auto-handled error is ignored

another possibility being in some cases the key received is indeed an errorless empty string (deleted label text), or contains "]" or other "disallowed" characters, such as line breaks, etc from the label names.

an unlikely but still possible case may be the VI may have been maintained by different people over time, hence the style is not consistent across the cases

based on one screenshot, I guess those mentioned may be possible. I suggest OP to attach the VI so the community can get a better picture

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 44
(916 Views)

@cy... wrote:

the other possibility is the key or value violates the "Windows Configuration Settings File Format"; specifically zero length key (string type default) if the variant to data indeed throw an error. but if that is the case should have triggered both errors codes, even if the auto-handled error is ignored

another possibility being in some cases the key received is indeed an errorless empty string (deleted label text), or contains "]" or other "disallowed" characters, such as line breaks, etc from the label names.

an unlikely but still possible case may be the VI may have been maintained by different people over time, hence the style is not consistent across the cases

based on one screenshot, I guess those mentioned may be possible. I suggest OP to attach the VI so the community can get a better picture

I don't get errors in Write Key.vi no matter what I put for those fields.  Sometimes it doesn't write anything, but it doesn't seem to return an error.  regardless, though, I hate speculating on a picture as much as you do, and I'll probably just spectate from now on until there is something real to work with.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 44
(908 Views)

I'm still not exactly sure why my VI was throwing the error, but I used the Open G "Write Panel to INI" function and it works now.

Thanks!

Certified LabVIEW Architect since 2007
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 44
(900 Views)

@David_R._Asher wrote:

I'm still not exactly sure why my VI was throwing the error, but I used the Open G "Write Panel to INI" function and it works now.

Thanks!

Don't forget to mark your post as the solution.  I love OpenG.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 44
(897 Views)

@David: if you can modify the VI, could have add in codes to see which function threw the 1st error...

@Billko: the write key function didn't check the key? I think I need to revisit my codes now...

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 44
(892 Views)

in any case, suggest you test it on the system (tablet) again to make sure it is running as expected... 

felt so unresolved, like most of those suggested workarounds, solving only symptom without knowing the actual root cause

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 44
(885 Views)

@cy... wrote:

@David: if you can modify the VI, could have add in codes to see which function threw the 1st error...

@Billko: the write key function didn't check the key? I think I need to revisit my codes now...

I could've just as easily did something wrong as well.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 44
(873 Views)

@David_R._Asher wrote:

Thanks!

I'm going to put out a big ask David.  We have a lot of highly skilled posters on this thread and the root cause isn't really known yet although you have a workaround.  Let us kick over the code and see what we can learn from it please.

I would really like to see if you are accidentally hiding any errors in a merge errors function.  There is a Right-Click option to set Merge Errors to "Retain all Errors."  This is identified by an additional vertical bar glyph on the merges errors icon.

Finally, although the OpenG log panel to ini file is useful... next time try a datalog file and depend on the NI delivered and tested method.  It handles data that is difficult to jam in a txt file natively while not all FP data is suitable as txt.  It also has the bonus ability to store multiple records (panel states) 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 44
(852 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

next time try a datalog file and depend on the NI delivered and tested method.

Of course, one downside of a "datalog file" is it is not human readable... if that is a requirement.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 44
(823 Views)

Here is the code for anyone that wants to look at it.  I'm content with using the Open G function for now, but for academic purposes it would be nice to learn what the actual problem is.

Thanks!

Certified LabVIEW Architect since 2007
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 44
(816 Views)