From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INDICATOR / CONTROL NEWBIE QUESTION

Solved!
Go to solution

Why are there four different images for a boolean ind or control and how can I utilize them?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,819 Views)

well, there are 4 states:

- switched off

- switched on

- switching to off

- switching to on

Using system controls you get two more states:

- mouse over switched off

- mouse over switched on

Start reading the LabVIEW help here

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,811 Views)

Hi Gearimiester,

My name is Jonathan and I work within the Applications Enginering department at NI in the UK, 

These images look to be images saved to the clipboard in the customisation of the control/indicator so rather than using a lit up LED you could have a specific image representing the state, Are you wanting to utilise all 4 of the images? Obviously boolean is 1 of 2 states.... True or False so really only 2 states can be used and therefore only 2 representing images.

You could edit 4 boolean indicators to be transparent wehn they are false and use the images to be the true value rather than a colour and then overlay each one on top of the other. 

If you let me know what it is you are specifically looking to achieve I would be happy to help.

Cheers 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,805 Views)

OK - Is there any way to access the other states with a blink property node so as to change the image from on to say switching to off? I was trying to impliment a different png image for the blinking property.

Thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,799 Views)

Jonathan~

Yes they are my custom png files and see reply above for application.

Your solution is workable and I have done it with some other button - indicator applications but I have found that if I do this while the indicators are inside a cluster it really draws on the cpu while idle and slows down the application when running. So I was trying to avoid having to do that if possible.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,792 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gearmiester

Hi,

no, using the Blink property just changes some colors…

When you want free control of the shown image you could use a PictRing instead…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 9
(2,790 Views)

HI,

I guess you could use property nodes to edit the blinking of the LED. I personally edited the Indicator and replaced the standard green block with an image from file.

Ive attached some steps below:

cheers

J

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,783 Views)

Then i would reccomend teh use of Pictring functions, you may find this article useful:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3211/en/

Cheers

J

Message 8 of 9
(2,771 Views)

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I will check out the ring control option and use it as the indicator. now I just need to work out how to control it programmatically.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,755 Views)