cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IF statements for LabVIEWCLI Batch Files

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Team,

I'm creating a batch file for automating tests and builds (using Jenkins) but I'm struggling to work out how to to do a basic IF statement if the build fails.

Basically, If a build fails, I want to EXIT <error code>, ELSE carry on with the rest of the script

If I send a command like this:

LabVIEWCLI -OperationName ExecuteBuildSpec -ProjectPath "<path>" -TargetName "My Computer" -BuildSpecName "exe"

and it fails, it will return something like this:

Operation output: 
Error Code : 7
Error Message : Invoke Node in GetTargetBuildSpecs.vi->NI_App_Builder_API.lvlib:Build (path).vi->ExecuteBuildSpec.lvclass:RunOperation.vi:5910001->CoreOperation.lvclass:CallRunOperation.vi:4230002->ExecuteRunOperation.vi:5250001->ExecuteOperation.vi:6900002->ExecuteOperation.vi.ProxyCaller
<APPEND>
Method Name: <b>Project:Open</b>
An error occurred while running the ExecuteBuildSpec operation.

ExecuteBuildSpec operation failed.

Or if it is successful it will return this:

Operation output: 
Generated files are:
C:\Users\Software\Desktop\testcode\builds\exe\Application.exe
C:\Users\Software\Desktop\testcode\builds\exe\Application.aliases
C:\Users\Software\Desktop\testcode\builds\exe\Application.ini
ExecuteBuildSpec operation succeeded.

Can someone let me know, how based on the return data I can use simple if statements to either 'stop and return an error code' or continue with the rest of the script?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,727 Views)

Are you able to get the response string back into LabVIEW through one of the SystemCommand subVI outputs?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,672 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author McQuillan

Never used LabVIEWCLI. However, usually console programs return error information into the environmental variable %ERRORLEVEL%; there is plenty of tutorials and examples about this, see for example this link (picked almost a random). Check the statement 'IF ERRORLEVEL n' to react to errors. Statement 'GOTO label' will also help you to contnue processing elsewhere in the batch file.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 3 of 5
(2,668 Views)

Thank you pincpanter,

Your solution was simple and worked straight away.

For the benefit of others this is how I implemented the solution:

@echo on
rem :: This section is to set batch file variables
SET PROJECTNAME=<projectname>.lvproj
SET EXEBUILDSPEC="<exename>"
SET INSBUILDSPEC="<installername>"
rem :: This is the main script
LabVIEWCLI -OperationName ExecuteBuildSpec -ProjectPath "%cd%\%PROJECTNAME%" -TargetName "My Computer" -BuildSpecName %EXEBUILDSPEC%
IF %errorlevel% NEQ 0 (
  goto error
)
LabVIEWCLI -OperationName ExecuteBuildSpec -ProjectPath "%cd%\%PROJECTNAME%" -TargetName "My Computer" -BuildSpecName %INSBUILDSPEC%
IF %errorlevel% NEQ 0 (
  goto error
)
LabVIEWCLI -OperationName CloseLabVIEW
IF %errorlevel% NEQ 0 (
  goto error
)
:error
EXIT %errorlevel%
Message 4 of 5
(2,635 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author McQuillan

Just in case other people see it.

$? also returns a boolean value about whether it failed or succeeded.

Additionally, the return values and paths can be accessed like this:

$buildOutput = LabVIEWCLI -OperationName ExecuteBuildSpec -ProjectPath...
echo $buildOutput[6]

$buildOutput is an array where each item is a line from the output of the LabVIEWCLI command (note that this will prevent those lines from displaying in the console)

You can access the information in those lines as a standard array. For instance, $buildOutput[6] is the first line in the Operation Output and contains the file path for the executable. 

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
Message 5 of 5
(2,364 Views)