From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to save certain test parameters in my VI that will be able to be accessed and manipulated from within the program. What is the best way to do this?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a VI that will run tests on data files. I want the parameters that define the limits that determine whether the data has passed, to be hidden from the operator of the program but be able to be altered without recompiling the program. I was thinking create a text file and just read from the text file. I guess I would also want to password protect the file so that no one can alter the settings. Maybe there is some built in functionality that I am not aware of? Any ideas?

Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,321 Views)
You may try to wrap your data into a cluster. This way it will be much harder to change the values, since they do not know the cluster structure. Reading and writing clusters to a file is a simple task.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,316 Views)
And you may also go further and create a zip file from the cluster file (but do not give it ext zip :smileywink: ). Afterwards you may delete the cluster file. At this point you will be pretty tamper safe.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,298 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author WindNRG
I've been using the 'Config File VI's' that ship with LV to create .ini files.  Pretty easy to protect/hide them in the final installation.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,287 Views)

Create a tab that is accesible only after logging in with a password. You can change the values as required on the protected tab. There are lots of examples out there on getting a password from the user.

And defintely use the NI ini file examples to write the values out to a file.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Johnson
Renco Encoders, Inc
Goleta, CA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,272 Views)