LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to know hardware to collect voltage and current from battery and read it through labview

Hi all ,

As per requirement of my job I want to measure voltage and current of battery connected to motor. I want to read those voltage and current through Labview. I want to know what hardware I need to acquire that voltage and current and feed it to computer and read through Labview.

I also want to know, whether I need to program according to hardware I use or Whatever I will program will read data coming from hardfwarwe?

Please give suggestions over it .

Thanks
c59409
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,810 Views)
c54909,

It depends on what equipment you have available and what is your budget.  You could for example use a storage oscilloscope with a current probe to accomplish this task.  This will give you very good timing waveforms if your charging sequences are short.

If you are looking to automate I would recommend using any GPIB controllable power supply by Agilent or HP such as a (Agilent E3634A) and a USB-HS from National Instruments.

Keep in mind depending on how accurate you want your data you may need a GPIB current meter to read low currents in the uA.  If you only need mA resolution you can usually use the same power supply you are making the voltage reading from.  You want to make sure you pay attention to things like current limits on your supply and Over Current Protection settings (OCP) as they can make testing interesting.

Regards,

-SS

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,799 Views)
Thanks SS,

I will take in to considerations suggestions and comment by you,

Thanks,
c59409.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,792 Views)

Another option is a DAQ board. Most of the DAQ boards will not measure current directly. They read voltage so you would read the voltage drop across a know resistor.

To get really specific, you need to provide some specs on what you are trying to measure. What is the range of voltage and current? What kind of accuracy do you need?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,778 Views)
The application draws current ranging  from 0A  to 2000A within 5secs and voltage level of battery is 28 v .
can anyone suugest me hardware configuration for this specifications if i want to read that current and battery voltage change in labview.

Thanks,
c59409
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,711 Views)

c54909 wrote:
The application draws current ranging  from 0A  to 2000A within 5secs and voltage level of battery is 28 v .

Are you sure about that?  2000 amps is a llllooooottttt of current.    The wires to carry that much current would be super duper industrial size!  I looked in a code book and it didn't go up that high.  It would be greater than 2000 kcmil.

Or do you mean 2000 milliamps which would be 2 amps?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,701 Views)