LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need your advice about a real time test bench

Hi all,

I need to develop a real time test bench with different I/O module like RS485, which guarantees real-time compliance and validation of the communication protocol

I don't have a lot of knowledge about NI products, that's why I want you to help me and give me advice about the NI hardware and software that I should use.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,959 Views)

Hi Chanfara,

"real time" and serial communication (like RS485) don't fit together…

@Chanfara wrote:

which guarantees real-time compliance and validation of the communication protocol

Please define "real-time compliance" and "validation of communication protocol"…

@Chanfara wrote:

I don't have a lot of knowledge about NI products, that's why I want you to help me and give me advice about the NI hardware and software that I should use.

Why don't you call your local NI sales department?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,948 Views)

Hi  

I use a very specific protocol with RS485, this protocol requires strict time constraints between the requests and the response.

I don't have a local NI sales department in my country.

I did research on the internet and I found the compactRIO, I wonder if this is a good solution or not?

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,879 Views)

If you contact NI via the online forms, they'll probably get you to the appropriate distributor (maybe via a few intermediate attempts, might take a bit of time).

If you're wanting to build your own hardware to implement RS485, you could use digital I/O and an FPGA as found in a cRIO, but it would probably be far easier to use purpose-built hardware (like a RS485 port, device or adaptor) if you just want to communicate with a device using that protocol.

I won't say it's the best device for you, but the cRIO-9045 I use has a RS485 capable port. A far cheaper alternative would be an adaptor like USB-485 if you wanted to stick with NI, or there are presumably a vast number of alternative vendors with different advantages and disadvantages.\

What are you trying to do? What are your requirements? How much time do you want to spend programming? etc...

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,875 Views)

Hi cbutcher,

My application is a test bench with an interface to control it and to select the different test mode, I can not use a pc because I have time constraints of less than one millisecond, and I chose to use NI equipment as this is motivated by the strong constraints of the synchronous mode of communication which requires the sending of periodic messages every 1.5 millisecond.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,832 Views)