LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to rotate a string indicator 90 degrees. Is this possible

To make my front panel less cluttered, I would like to have my string indicator rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. Is this possible and if so will I be able to place it in an array of strings? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(8,585 Views)
Labels and captions can be rotated by right-clicking on them and selecting the vertical alignment...

You can then control the text displayed using a property node (caption-> text e.g.)

The same goes fordecoration labels, but getting a reference to those are a bit more work (open a reference to the front panel -> get the reference list of all decorations...find the correct reference in the array).
Message 2 of 13
(8,585 Views)

Hey,

I know this is an OLD topic, but I ran into this problem today. I used your advice with the property node, but that only rotates the caption and not the actual box that holds whatever(the string, value, etc.). I was wondering if there was a way to rotate the actual text box.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(8,013 Views)

Hi,

I have done this example, using the caption instead. This may do the trick.

regards

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 4 of 13
(7,999 Views)

@sethmurphy wrote:

Hey,

I know this is an OLD topic, but I ran into this problem today. I used your advice with the property node, but that only rotates the caption and not the actual box that holds whatever(the string, value, etc.). I was wondering if there was a way to rotate the actual text box.

Thanks!

No, you cannot rotate the actual text box.

This idea was suggested, but it never gained much traction: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/rotate-a-frontpanel-object/idi-p/1306368

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,997 Views)

untitled.PNG

That says it all-  NO you can't set the vertical arrangment property of a string control or indicator.  Though, it may be a good opportunity for an Idea Exchange postSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,990 Views)

In the end all controls and indicators end up as images on the front panel. You can do this with an XControl. You would input the string, create an image from that, rotate it or whatever, then display it in a picture indicator.

I have never made an XControl.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,960 Views)

So just color the indicator transparent, and feed the text to the caption (i.e. use the caption as an indicator).

Paul Cardinale

Message 8 of 13
(7,952 Views)

@paul_a_cardinale wrote:

So just color the indicator transparent, and feed the text to the caption (i.e. use the caption as an indicator).

Paul Cardinale

While fundamentally, this would provide a potential work-around.  I find it morally objectionableSmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy Whats next? tategaki?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 9 of 13
(7,937 Views)

The only problem with that is that we have a dynamic string to display. If someone knows how to dynmically change a caption, I'm all ears.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,905 Views)