From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made a LabVIEW poster for the wall in my office

This is a poster I made of working LabVIEW code to hang on the wall in my office. I made it in a way that allows me to show people multiple aspects of LabVIEW and the general architecture of some VIs.

Those who know LabVIEW, no need to look closely, it's mostly fluff. Also, please don't hate me for changing the color of the error cluster wires to make it more aesthetically pleasing. Hope you guys like it!

LabVIEW_Poster.png

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 1 of 11
(3,890 Views)

Very nice.  I try to keep my VIs to a "screen-full" (1280 x 1024), so they don't look quite as impressive.  But do you really need to use the Sequence structure?  I counted five of them (two with double-frames), and all seem unnecessary ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,868 Views)

Haha, well the poster is quite large, so I picked a pixel-per-inch value and aimed for that.

You're right about the double-frames, those are unnecessary now that I look back. I think they originally contained something other than those Rendezvous VIs. I use the single frame structures in cases where the internal items don't have an error cluster available (occurances, string manipulation, indictor updating). That being said, most of the spots where they're used are unnecessary fluff code anyways.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,864 Views)

Heck I wouldn't even have known you changed the colors of the wires because I'm colorblind.  😉

That being said, with so many loops, I would've probably made them all into subVIs.  But then it wouldn't be so dramatic.  😉

What's the For Loop tacked onto the end of the third While loop do?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,845 Views)

hmmm....green error cluster wires - i like it!

a poster like that is a great idea to show concepts and working approaches

but the big questions is - does it run properly?! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,805 Views)
Bill, the For loop doesn't really do anything. More fluff.

David, it works properly and does what it was meant to do. Unfortunately, I made it as a challenge of sorts to my coworkers as it pertains to HTML code from our company website; therefore, I won't be sharing the actual code for now.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,799 Views)

@James.M wrote:
Bill, the For loop doesn't really do anything. More fluff.

David, it works properly and does what it was meant to do. Unfortunately, I made it as a challenge of sorts to my coworkers as it pertains to HTML code from our company website; therefore, I won't be sharing the actual code for now.

Oh, I see what you are trying to do.  This is to everyone to "think LabVIEW".  And of course you can't see inside a printed subVI.  😉  I don't know why I didn't pick that up before.  You actually stated that quite clearly at the end.

I think the thing it illustrates very well is that LabVIEW is inherently parallel.  I think the biggest difference, conceptually, is that it takes some work to get things in a text-based language to run in parallel; it takes some work to get LabVIEW to work in a linear fashion.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,726 Views)

Why do you clear the errors in the bottom 2 loops?!

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,659 Views)
The bottom look because I wanted to clear any file I/O errors before using the command prompt to open the file. The second to last loop because I don't care about any error handler loop errors at the end.

The be honest I don't care about any errors at the end really because this application isn't going anywhere and doesn't need to output anything. I'm sorry I've caused so much grief by some of my space filler code.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,647 Views)

billko wrote:

it takes some work to get things in a text-based language to run in parallel; it takes some work to get LabVIEW to work in a linear fashion.

I find just the opposite true for LabView. Parallelising LabView program complexity increases exponentially.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,611 Views)