LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm doing a scan around a line by sampling data 360 degrees for every value of z(z is the position on the line). So, that mean I have a double for-loop where I collect the data. The problem comes when I try to plot the data. How should I do?

I'm doing a scan around a line by sampling data 360 degrees for every value of z(z is the position on the line). So, that mean I have a double for-loop where I collect the data. The problem comes when I try to plot the data. How should I do?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,370 Views)
I think that would complicate the understanding of the plot. The plot I'm trying to accomplish is somthing like a cylinder. At each position I collect one data point, then move delta-theta and collect another one and so on until I reach the same point where I begun. Then I move up delta-z and do everything all over again.
Did I manage to make it a little bit more clear now?
thanks anyway, and maybe you have another suggestion?
-Jonas
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,370 Views)
How about using something like the attached VI? I'm not sure what additional use it will be in understanding your data, but it was mildly amusing for me to create... Hope it helps in some way, Richard.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,370 Views)
Jonas,
Here is what I would do. If you cut your cylinder open along the 0 degree angle line you get a rectangle. Now you can orient this rectanlge so that X will be represented by your former Z-coordinate and Y will be the former angle in your cylinder (0-360 degrees). If you then use an intensity plot in LabVIEW you can use the intensity to represent your smpled data on this 2D representation of your cylinder. I hope this helps. /Mikael
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,370 Views)
Hi Mikael!
Thanks for your answer, however, I really need to have a cylinder shaped plot since I expect the data (i.e. the radius of the cylinder depending on the height, z and the angle, theta) to be be quit irregular. I need the 3d plot in order to really understand the results I think.
Is there no simple way to do this? I've tried the parametric surface plot, but then I have difficulties arranging the data so that it fit the required input for the VI.
Help me!!
thanks again!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,370 Views)
Jonas,
It seems like you are doing a C-scan (using a transducer? ) The depth (data)into the cylinder will be your intensity, your indexing axis is z and your scanning axis is Theta, your intensity x-axis Chart will be in degrees because you are "stepping" ( every say: 1 degree). The Z-axis, (in your email becomes the Chart Y axis .
'ope.z.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,370 Views)
Jonas,

I think what you want is a 3D plot of a cylinder. I have attached an example using a parametric 3D plot.

You will probably want to duplicate the points for the first theta value to close the cylinder. I'm not sure what properties of the graph can be manipulated to make it easier to see.

Bruce
Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
Message 8 of 10
(3,370 Views)
Jonas,

Here is a better example. I used cylindrical coordinates, and controlled the shading with a custom colormap. It looks a lot better than the default settings.

Bruce
Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
Message 9 of 10
(3,370 Views)
Thanks!
this was by far the best fit to my problem...tried almost the same solution myselfm but the surface of the plot always looked pretty bad...this example is something I can use!
Thanks again
/Jonas
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,370 Views)